Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

Im hoping someone on these forums can help me, i've recently purchased an olympusc760 ultra zoom camera and so far i'm really dissapointed.

From what i've seen alot of people have taken some really great pictures with this camera, yet i can't seem to produce anything of worth. Now, I understand that its possiable im not setting up the camera settings quite right, and i don't own a tripod, but i've tested this camera by resting it on a table and using the timer to take photos - so it is totally still, and still the qualitythephoto's it produces are dismal.

I've noticed that there a numerous compressions HQ, SHQ and TIFF in particular, all at different resolutions and i have taken photos in as near similar conditions as possiable - all with the same result, large images, with no depth, and alot of grainy noise. I have triple checked that digital zoom is not turned on, and i have tried numerous distances, settings, combinations of settings, sharpness controls etc to rectify the problem.

I was ready to hand this camera back to the store i bought it from after seeing how effortlessly a friends camera could get high qulaity results. But reading this forum and seeing other people with some great results from similar models (i can only assume c750 is a similar model) that its given me some hope that this could very well be a user error, and that some how my inexperience with photography can even effect the camera's waulity when set on the "auto" function.

The most worrying thing about the camera is the file sizes it is producing (or lack of filesize) on the SHQ 2048x1536 my filesize remains under 700kb. My friends camera (im unsure of the brand or model) with the same settings produces a file size of 2.5mb. Is there anyway to get rid of the grainy pictures the camera is producing? or is this something im burdened with for purchasing this particular model ? The entire reason i bought this camera was to produce high quality source images i can edit, and since the pictures being produced are so low in quality I can't do anything with them, despite their resolution.

Im not sure if you need sample images to properly help me, please list the settings, and function you would like the camera set on when i'm taking the photo's. Any help is greatly appreciated.
PhotoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

Afew things come to mind -

1) You say the pictures are grainy. Check to make sure you haven't accidently set the ISO high. I suggest you set the ISO at 100 or lower. I don't use the "auto" setting on my C-730 preferring instead to manually adjust it up as required (for low light and / or need for a faster shutter).

2) Check to be sure you haven't accidently made any manual adjustments to the Exposure Value (EV). You will notice a "+" or "-" number (usually a decimile) in the view finder in the top right hand corner. For starters, this should be "0". The EV is adjusted using the left or right buttons surrounding the "OK" or menu select botton on the back (hope I got that description OK.)

3) I think you're OK shooting SHQ and 2048 x 1536. File size is matter of JPEG compression. SHQ on Oly is the "least" amount of compression. The file size you say you're getting seems slightly on the small side, but then there are a number of factors that can influence this. Bottom line - double check to be sure you have SHQ and 2048 x 1536 set.

If you're not shooting inProgram mode ("P"), try the "P" mode. This way you can see how some of the variables (ISO, EV, etc. ) affect the picture. If you can, post a picture or two here on Steve's along with EXIF info; a number ofother good folks here (the real experts!)know how to read that "stuff" and can give you some additional insight as well as possible fixes.

Finally, it could just be that you have a faulty camera. If you keep getting lousy pictures after this and any other suggestions here, take some samples with you back to the store and ask for an exchange and / or different camera. There's no reason not to expectquality pictures from your C-760 (or any other good digital camera.)

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 2:25 AM   #3

I have a c750, and my cam produces grainy pics when shooting above ISO200 (this is a downside to my cam, it does not compensate well for low light), and takes blurry pics (which usually appears like a focus problem) when shooting at too slow a shutter speed.

Somehow this may seem unreasonable in a little camera that fits in a pocket, I mean you should be able to pull it out and take any pic you want. Buttake a minute to realise what a 380mm, 10x zoom means, thats a pretty serious telephoto, and, understand that the shutter speed required to avoid blur at that zoom is pretty extreme. If shooting in auto, and light is low, then the shutter speed is automaticallyslowed down to the point where you need a tri-/mono-pod (which I use often)

Bottom line is that this cam is capable of doing things 99% of other point and shoot cams can't. But to take advantage of its capabilities, you have to understand the limitations of shooting at extremes (like a 380mm zoom).

If I didn't help, (wouldn't be the first time) then definitely post some commonly bad pics, just make sure the EXIF data is there for us to find, or post the ISO, shutter speed, F-stop, etc., etc....
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:07 AM   #4

Ok thanks for the quick reply guys - I'll take a few various pictures and post them asap.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:08 AM   #5

Ok, these pics were taken in P mode. The room is lit by two very bright daylight ceiling lights. Personally, i think the lighting is very sufficient, but i have done two of the same picture with and without flash. I have rested the camera on a level table and used the auto-focus function before turning on the timer and letting the camera take the shot to minamise movement.

The files have been copied directly from the camera via USB to my hardrive, and i have only cropped them on the camera, so that i have smaller images to post. (although all photos will be originally shot in SHQ 2048x1536)

Since the four images are around 1.25mb i've zipped them, and they are avaliable for download here...

Filesize approx: 5.6mb
http://556mm.org/stonypotstation/images/c760demophotos.zip

Unfortunatly im unsure how to copy an image with its shot information still attached from the camera to the computer (im not even sure if the c760 supports that) either way, here is the information for each file included in the zip...

Picture 1 - zoomed(optical only)
SHQ 2048x1536
F 3.7 1/250 0.0
WB AUTO
ISO 100

Picture 2 - zoomed(optical only)- With Flash
SHQ 2048x1536
F 3.7 1/2.5 0.0
WB AUTO
ISO 100

Picture 3 - With Flash
SHQ 2048x1536
F2.8 1/6 0.0
WB AUTO
ISO 100

Picture 4
SHQ 2048x1536
F2.8 1/30 0.0
WB AUTO
ISO 100

It seems after doing this comparison the zoomed shots tend toproduce amuch higher quality picture. But even considering thisI still can't understand the amount of pixels that seem off colour or fuzzy, especially when comparing this camera's qualityto a friend of mynes which was hundreds of dollarsless even when he bought it last november.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 2:46 PM   #6

Not sure what you're seeing, PhotoNoob, they look fine to me.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:24 AM   #7

The picture info is stored as EXIF data that automatically stays with the pic, and yes, the C760 supports this. Some of it can be viewed by viewing the file's properties, all or most of it can be viewed through a photo editing program, and all of it can be viewed/edited with an EXIF specific programs. This info can be lost or changed if you are not careful re-saving, or by furthur compressing images (don't zip image files, a jpeg is already compressed)

The pictures you took look ok to me. I was initially concerned about the file size, but you said you cropped them (on your cam?why? use editing software for better cropping...always) and they are all about 1.5Mb, which seems appropriate compared to my 2-2.5Mb file size for uncropped images. What happened to your initial claim that your unaltered SHQ pics were under 700Mb?!

Looking at your settings, you list pictures#1 and #2 with the exact same settings excepta faster 1/250sec shutter for #1 vs. a much slower 1/2.5sec for #2. This makes no sense because you stateusing a flash on #2, is that a mix-up? Either way, sans photo 1, the shutter speeds you listed were 1/30, 1/6, and 1/2.5, which are very, very, slooow, meaning very challeging lighting, definitely requiring a steady, mounted platform. In my experience, this is where you can have problems if you don't recognize the camera's limitations.

With all of that said, the pics you posted look just fine to me. If you want to convince me of a problem with your cam, take some outdoor shots that didn't turn out...
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote