Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:14 PM   #11

Please send me the update for Macintosh. I too have a C-8080 and a Mac and would like the ability to handle my own updates without resorting to Windows. Thanks.

Send to: [email protected] (remove the NOSPAM)
Typeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:08 AM   #12

This is rather interesting since I was just on the Olympus website and all software updates are availableusing eitherWindows and Macintosh.
archer1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:04 PM   #13
Administrator

Actually, the firmware update is not available for non-Windows platforms (I just checked).

If you go to the C-8080WZ download page and select Macintosh, no updates are available. Yet, the firmware update is available for Windows.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...961&OS=Win

I read through the firmware update procedure for Windows. It looks like all it's probably doing is verifying that the camera is eligible for the update, then copying the firmware update to the camera (giving you status windows, etc., on your PC to let you know the progress).

Well, I looked at what it was doing, and it unpacks a firmup.exe file, along with wdc40.dll. I couldn't see what it was doing next (since I don't have this camera), but it was obviously just going to extract a .bin file from the .exe file, and copy it to the camera.

I decided to dig around, and found someone that already extracted the firmware.bin file from the firmup.exe. He posted instructions, as well as the extracted firmware.bin file on his site here (basically, you just create a firmware directory in the root directory of the media, then copy the firmware.bin file to it). Of course, always perform updates at your own risk:

http://home.comcast.net/~royf/8080fi...7-75/HOWTO.TXT

http://home.comcast.net/~royf/8080firmware/v757-75/FIRMWARE.BIN

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 7:27 PM   #14

Hi Jim. As you will notice from earlier in this topic I've had the unofficial update since August and have been giving it to anyone who wants it. However, after months of nagging I've finally got a result from Olympus. Earlier this month I received an unreserved apology from Olympus for their poor customer care and, they sent me an xD card with the official update on it. They have also acknowledged that their Mac support has been unsatisfactory and, that it will be better in future. So, if Olympus keep to their word, I think I can call that a pretty good result. Hopefully things will be better for Mac users from now on.

Oh, if anyone wants the official update just drop me a line and its yours.
John_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:11 PM   #15

John,

I sure would appreciate the firmware HOW TO for the Olympus C8080. I'm on a mac running Panther.

Thanks so much.

Shirley RW
Shirley RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 1:22 PM   #16

Hi Shirley,

It's really easy to perform the update yourself. Assuming you have the correct file. If you don't have it I can email it to you if you tell me where to send it.

Here goes -

1. Make a folder on your Mac and call it FIRMWARE. You must use capital letters.

2. Drop the update file which is called FIRMWARE.BIN into the FiRMWARE folder you just made.

3. Connect your 8080 to your Mac and let it mount on the desktop.

4. Drop the FIRMWARE folder onto the camera's card or disc icon so that it copies onto it.

5. Eject the camera's disc and disconnect the camera.

6. Before you proceed make sure that the camera's battery is fully charged or, use a mains adapter. Do not interrupt your camera's power supply whilst performing the update or, it will be damaged and have to go back to Olympus for repair.

7. Set your camera to Playback mode (green arrow) and turn it on.

8. A menu will appear, showing current firmware version and giving you two menu options ("yes" and "no"). To update the firmware, choose "yes" using the arrow buttons.

9. Do not disturb the camera during the update process, which will seem to take an eternity to complete while you hold your breath.

10. The screen will show you when the update is complete and you can then use your camera as normal.

Hopefully you won't have any problems and you'll be updated soon. If my instructions need clarifying just give me a shout and I'll see how I can help.

Good luck and, Happy Christmas and New Year.

John

P.S. - If you have it you can also use Virtual PC to perform the update.
Old May 14, 2005, 1:42 PM   #17

Hi John,

thanks for taking a strong stand for the Mac OS community.
Would you send me the official C-8080 firmware update you received from Olympus?
Thanks
Lucas
che_lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 1:45 PM   #18

Hi JimC,

is the bin file (v757.75) available at the URL you posted last november safe? For example, have you used it in your C-8080?
Thanks
Lucas
che_lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 2:47 PM   #19

Hi che_lucas,

I've been using the update now for about nine months without problem. I can email you the official update I got from Olympus if you are worried. :-)

John
Old Jun 23, 2005, 5:23 PM   #20

Thought I would take time to mention, I just purchased a C8080 (6/14/05) from Amazon for $519.00 and apparently they (Olympus)have updated the software at the factory to version 775.76

I am also am an Mac user and unhappy at several hardware manufactures that the software included with their products are not as comprehensive as the Windows counter part.

az44 is offline   Reply With Quote