Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:48 AM   #31

Wow! Two hours on the phone just to basically be told that Olympus have thousands of customers out there about whom they care nothing. That they'll take our money when we buy the camera then, we're on our own. There is something far wrong at Olympus.

I am also highly offended at their implication that I am a liar. I still have the XD card Olympus sent me complete with the FIRMWARE file on it and, below you will find a copy of the original email Olympus sent me offering to send me the XD card with the update on it. I have edited it a little for reasons of privacy but, I can supply an unedited version to prove it's genuine :-

Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]***.uk.net
To: [email protected]***.uk.net
Subject: C-8080 Firmware update
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:59:34 +0100

Dear Mr Patterson,

My apologies for the delay in coming back to you with a solution for the firmware upgrade to your C-8080.

Currently, as you already know, firmware upgrades are not supported for the Mac on our web site at this time, this situation is already being addressed, currently I don't have a date when Mac support will be available.

If I can ask you to let me have your postal address I will send you a specially formatted XD card that contains the new firmware, this will then enable you to carry out the upgrade of the camera without the use of a PC or Mac. I will include instructions of the process with the card.

I trust that this course of action meets with your approval and I would like to again apologise for poor and unacceptable level of support that you have received from Olympus.

Kind regards

Rob*** K***-Smith
Service Manager, Consumer Division

Olympus UK Ltd
2-8 Honduras Street,
London, EC1Y 0TX
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7250 4552
Fax. +44 (0) 20 7250 4546
mailto: [email protected]
URL:http://www.olympus.co.uk
John_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:45 AM   #32

... AND THIS IS WHAT I JUST GOT FROM THEM...

Joseph,

I have looked into your situation with your firmware update request. An alternative option at this point in time is for you to send it into us to perform the upgrade. I am aware that this is an inconvenience for you and I understand that. I have been told that the procedure we have in place at the present time is to update it by using windows or sending it in to repair. If you are unsatisfied with this outcome please feel free to file a complaint on our Tokyo Website. Most likely your new camera will be fine and will contain the most current firmware. Thank you for contacting Olympus, we appreciate your support.

Regards,

Olympus Imaging America Inc.
www.olympusamerica.com

NOTE: If you would like to reply back to us on this issue, please do not edit or remove the text in the subject line. Also, please reply with e-mail history or copy the entire body of this e-mail and paste it into your reply to ensure that all information is retained.[/code] I "LOVE" THE COMPLAINT SUGGESTION BIT.... and yes they basicaly call both of us liers. This came from the highest level of "support".

Could you please email me what you have just in case to [email protected]?

Thanks.

Josef
flashbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:07 AM   #33

I keep hoping that they'll do something if only to get us off their backs. :evil:

I've sent you the full text of the last few emails between myself & Olympus. :-) Hope they're useful.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:15 PM   #34

Well... the only option left to me was to email that guy that helped you and hope that he may help me also. I do not have the program to turn my MAC into a PC.

If he does not help, I will have to ask my friends with a PC to help me with my camera, but I would rather not do that. Olympus made me so mad that I am concidering returning the camera that I have been looking forward to getting today. The first one had 3 dead pixels in the EVF. Is that normal for them at all? I would not think so.

Anyway, what do you think of the c7070 and how the images would compare? I hear good things and ergonomicaly the 7070 is much better. I also like the glass viewfinder to be able to see the changing expression at the time of the shutter action, but I have yet to see a trully comparable photo from that camera on the web to a 8080.

Regards,

Josef
flashbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 3:51 PM   #35

I'm a little confused about what exactly you are trying to do with your camera. Your new 8080 should have the latest or, nearly latest, firmware on it and should work fine. Everyone will have to wait until Olympus releases an update before we can get our hands on the newest firmware. I suggest that you are patient for now. It could be a long wait though.

The 8080 is a great camera but, I would not accept dead pixels on the screen either. I think there are instructions for mapping out dead pixels on the chip but, I've never come across any so I haven't had to use it.

The 7070 is a good camera as well but, you might encounter the same problems updating the firmware as with the 8080 so, unless you want a camera that is a little more compact, lighter and, with a lower resolution, I'd stick with the 8080.

I do not like having VirtualPC on my Mac and I only use it when there is no other choice. I cannot think of any reason why Olympus do not simply offer proper support for Macs. They could easily do so if they wanted and in my opinion they're just being stubborn and inconsiderate not to do so.