Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:46 PM   #1

Just a little warning to all Macintosh users. I strongly advise you not to buy an Olympus camera.

I want to update the firmware of my Camedia 8080 Wide Zoom but, I cannot because Olympus do not support the Macintosh computer platform! I have raised the matter with Olympus and have been more or less told that it's tough luck. They suggested that I go to an Internet cafe to perform the update (there are none within thirty miles of me) or, send my camera back to an Olympus service centre to have it updated (expensive, time consuming and, impractical). I would have to do this each time there is a firmware update. Personally I avoid the PC platform whenever possible and strongly object to Olympus trying to force me to use a PC.

I do not know of any other major digital camera manufacturer who do not provide firmware updates for Macs. I had no way of knowing this before I bought the camera and it never occurred to me that Macs wouldn't be supported. If this information had been available to me I would never had bought the camera in the first place. I cannot understand why Olympus don't support the second largest computer platform in the world.

So, Mac users, take my advice and keep clear of Olympus. I like my C-8080 but, I will never purchase from Olympus again unless their support policy changes. If you have found yourself in the same situation as me please let Olympus know how unsatisfactory the lack of Mac support is and maybe they'll do something about it.

(You may have noticed that I'm really, really p*ssed at Olympus about this.)
John_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:30 PM   #2

John_p,
I also use Macs and only a short while ago, nobody could update firmware from Olympus. Every camera had to be sent to them for updates. "And they charged a fee". You may want to look into how the update is performed. Not all tech people are equally informed.
On my Nikon I don't remember the update being platform specific. I just copied the update to the card and the camera did the update.
Good Luck

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:51 AM   #3

Yes it's really annoying they way Olympus treat their customers.

I have had the update file on my Mac for a while and it would be easy for me to transfer it onto a memory card but, Olympus haven't made it work that way. I have to connect my camera to a PC and run the update on the computer to update my camera. That's why I can't perform the update myself. Goodness only knows why Olympus have done this. It seems crazy to me.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:35 PM   #4

Well after a lot of searching and the help of one person in particular I have updated my C-8080 and, contrary to what Olympus said, I used my Mac to do do it.

If anyone wants the firmware update which works with Macs just email me and I'll send you it with the simple instructions how to use it.

Now I'm off to write to Olympus again and to tell them what I think of them!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:02 AM   #5

Could you send me those details to [email protected], remove NOSPAM of course.

Thanks in advance,
pzboyz
pzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:33 AM   #6

I was interested in your warning to Mac users regarding Olympus cameras. After some researching I was considering buying the Olympus C5050 Zoom but have been aware of the firmware problems.
In your later posting you have found a method to update your C8080 and used your Mac to do it. I have the 17 inch flat screen iMac and recently upgraded to Mac Os X 10.3 panther. I wonder if your method could be used to upgrade the C5050 to be compatible with Mac Os X 10.3. An email from Olympus has informed me at this time that upgrades to Mac Os X 10.2.8 only are possible for the C5050. You offered to send the firmware update with simple instructions on how to use it to anyone interested. I would be very interested in receiving the details please.
Thank you for your interest,
MichaelRW
[email protected]
MichaelRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:50 PM   #7

I also need the instructions for applying the firmware update on a Macintosh.

My email is: [email protected]

Thank you very much.
CUNEYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:23 PM   #8

I'm not a Mac user, but couldn't you use "Virtual PC" in this situation?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:07 AM   #9

I do not have VirtualPC.
CUNEYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:41 PM   #10

John_P wrote:
Quote:
Well after a lot of searching and the help of one person in particular I have updated my C-8080 and, contrary to what Olympus said, I used my Mac to do do it.

If anyone wants the firmware update which works with Macs just email me and I'll send you it with the simple instructions how to use it.
Can you post your instructions here, I know someone with a C-7xx and a Mac who wants to update their camera's firmware.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote