Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:59 PM   #11

I don't know the actual colours to compare to but I like the C4000 better, there is a feint orange cast with the C40. This might be something to do with white balance. Was the light on (tungston bulb) for one (C40) and off for the C4000. Check your white balance settings, I leave mine on auto for flash work as I don't really do any serious stuff indoors with flash - I hate flash photos with cheap built in flash guns (ok for fun). For best results use manual white balance indoors I reckon. Chech your flash settings too.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 1:38 PM   #12

Hi Steve6, the pics were taken with auto flash, no other artificial lighting. Both were taken in the afternoon.
Another thing - your attached pics and marcoangels are not showing on my desktop ( I have internet options set to show pictures) yet they show on my laptop.
The desktop has ie6.
Weird. Since editing this some of the pics do download, then again they set a placeholder and refuse to download. I don't know. Beam me up scotty!!

[Edited on 1-10-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 2:23 PM   #13

Again have a look at white balance. Post your IE6 problem on the general forum as i'm sure plenty will help out.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 3:36 AM   #14

So far I have been loving my C-4000Z. I think the colors on it are excellent. I did bump up the detail a little bit on the camera (almost all the way up) to get the clearest pictures I can. Here are a couple of photos I snapped off that show some color and they are spot on to real life:

dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 3:35 AM   #15

Hi Dave, your 2 images are sensational! When you say you 'bumped-up the detail' on the camera, do you mean the 'sharp' setting or 'contrast' setting? I read a review of this camera at www.megapixel.net' and they absolutely loved it! It did irk me that they reported 'no distortion' at wideangle setting, and also they reported the default setting for 'all reset', as being 'off'. My camera's default setting for this parameter is 'on' and A friend of mine's is the same. I really hoped this camera would be 'fantastic'...maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it sure isn't fool-proof 'point-and-shoot'!!
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 4:27 AM   #16

Default OLYMPUS C-4000 ZOOM & SONY DPP-SV77

I'm a nurse and I have no knowledge of digital cameras except from readings of camera reviews. I recently bought the C-4000 zoom and started taking pictures of my co-workers in the hospital. Everyone was amazed at how clear and sharp the pictures were and appears true-to-life. In fact, two people came and asked me to take photos at the wedding. I was flattered. I also bought a Sony DPP-SV77 digital photo printer and they are a perfect match. I printed them (takes about 2 minutes) as soon as I took the pictures and they just can't believe it. I also rubbed some alcohol pads to the photos and didn't damage a bit. The super coating of the photo paper is excellent.
JABTNJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:43 AM   #17

If you want to read up on how to use digital cameras, head to:

http://www.photocourse.com

It's an online free "book" that explains things nicely.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 1:55 PM   #18

Let's not kid ourselves. It takes about a 20 megapixel ccd to roughly equate to 35mm film. And digital camera performance varies alot even within the same model. Dave your photos are impressive. How do you do it within such a small file size. Either you are blessed with a "spot on" version of the c4000z or your a magician.!
This is the best my c4000z can do, it just looks a blur to me.
And this was with the sharpness in the camera set to full and more sharpness from IrfanView software to get to this.

David

[Edited on 4-10-2002 by david]

[Edited on 5-10-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 5:56 PM   #19

I appreciate your comments everybody. Those were 2 of the first pictures I took with this camera as I am still getting used to it. When I say I bumped up the detail I left the contrast alone (well maybe pushed it up a wee bit) but I turned the sharp setting all the way to the max.

As for keeping the file sizes small, I have it set on the HQ1 setting I believe which takes a .jpg picture and the resolution I picked was 1024x768 (my ideal picture resolution for computers). Anyhow, I that is about all I have done with the camera besides take a bunch of pictures. Here are 2 pictures I snapped today of my parents dog...kinda hard to get a good picture of her since she is black and the background was not that light...

dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:19 PM   #20

Default daves dog

Very good Iam thinking about buying c4000 and what I see so far does not discourage me.
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote