Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 6, 2002, 7:31 AM   #31

Dave, unfortunately I got my c4000z over the web so returning it would be a real pain. Knowing my luck I would probably end up with one that has a worse problem than the original.

Regards,
David

Extra ....
Have you read the review of the c4000z on this forum. Looking at the sample photos it bares out my suspicion that the colour default is alot different on the c4000z compared to the c40z. Also it tells a different story to other reviews on the web. You could be forgiven for thinking they were about two different cameras.

David

[Edited on 6-10-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 4:53 PM   #32

Yeah David, ordering stuff over the web and then trying to return it is a major pain. I bought mine at Circuit City and got the 3 year warranty to go with it. That way if I drop it when I'm taking a picture or it gets wet when I"m outside in the rain, I can take it back and get a new one without any problems for 3 years, no questions asked.

Anyhow, sorry to hear you are not happy with your camera. Perhaps you can sell it and get another one.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 5:06 PM   #33

Olympus has a repair depot a few miles down the road, perhaps it may be worth trying to get it to them. I don't know, may be worth a phone call.
I am surprised your photos do not show signs of ziggy zaggys, especially as you say you have your sharpness set to full. I certainly get it on diagonals and some straight edges too.
I have posted about the file sizes being significantly smaller.
Best wishes from London
David

PS I have already returned two c40z's they will probably shoot me!!
I think you will realise a problem if you try something like portraits with the sun if you have the contrast set up high. It is an issue for sure with this camera that the default contrast is way too high. Stupidly so, in fact!!

[Edited on 6-10-2002 by david]
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:06 PM   #34

Default dave 1

Am I missing something here davids two images are not miles apart on my monitor the c4000 is a bit brighter but sharp and in focus it has the usual oly c/a at left hand windows but would produce agood print.I am strongly considering this camera and would value any comments .I have used the canon s30 olyc/d 40 so I will decide soon
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:55 PM   #35

The c4000z photo compared to the c40z shows that the colour of the c4000z is different and looking at the recent reviews bares this out.
If exposure is set to tame highlights then the rest of the scene is probably too dull.
Sharpness is not the same.

David
Old Oct 7, 2002, 7:15 AM   #36

jasm,

I do not believe that the two photos of David's (the one that looks like it was taken fro a building window) are miles apart. They are slightly different, but both are actually quite nice pictures. Now that I look at them again, I can see the differences in the colors between the two. The 2nd picture (taken with the 4000Z) looks more washed out than the 40Z. I am not sure what the settings for the contrast and the brightness are on his camera, or his ISO either. I am sitting here with my camera right now and here are the settings I have:

Under Camera:
ISO - Auto
Noise Reduction - On
Digital Zoom - On (although I hardly ever use)
Fulltime AF - On

Under Pic:
Type - SQ2 (1024x768 is the image size)
WB - Auto
Red/Blue - In the middle
Sharpness - +5
Contrast - +/- 0
Saturation - +/- 0

And everything else is set at default (including brightness).

David, what are your settings like? I just messed with some of my settings tonight. All of the pictures posted here by me I had Noise Reduction turned off, everything else was the same. So far I have not been able to tell any difference in the pictures, but then again I am at work and there isn't much to shoot here that shows some great detail or color.

So far jasm, I am happy with this camera though. I think it takes an excellent picture and the colors seem dead on, if not better coming from the camera than in real life. However, as with David's posts, you can see that your mileage may vary with this camera it seems.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 12:06 PM   #37

Default Dave 1

I agree the 4000z image looks slightly out in contrast or something washing colours down a bit it would recover in P/S.I have just returned a Minolta f100 which on the same day same location same settings returned 5 very dark and 5 all right images its the fiirst time I ever returned lucky there was a 7 day option to return.On your images,Megapixel .net review,dpreview forums I am going to order the c4000 tomorrow so heres hoping.
jm
Old Oct 7, 2002, 12:34 PM   #38

Default dave1

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3347198

this is my last worry olympus c/d 40z was notorious for chrom. ab. any user views on these posts.
Old Oct 7, 2002, 1:30 PM   #39

Default settings, what else can I say.
Surely in the whole history of consumer products there can be nothing to compare to the fuss caused by the courtship with the digital camera.

David

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by david]
Old Oct 7, 2002, 4:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally posted by jasm
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3347198

this is my last worry olympus c/d 40z was notorious for chrom. ab. any user views on these posts.
Yeah, that does look pretty bad there. I really haven't noticed anything like that, but then again I guess I haven't taken too many pictures with the sun shining that brightly off to the side. I always try to get a picture where the sun is not a factor. Also, I think if you get a UV lens protector it "might" (and I emphasize might) cut down on some of that "purple" as I like to call it. I guess I need to go snap some pictures of trees like that with the sun playing a factor...perhaps I'll do that right now...it's nice and sunny outside.

Ok, I tried to find a place to take a picture that would produce some ch. ab., but I don't think it is the right setting. Here are 2 pictures that I found that might show you what you are looking for.

The 2nd shot is not that great of a shot as I was just taking it quickly...the other one was out of focus too much to post.

[Edited on 10-7-2002 by dave1]