Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:01 PM   #41

Default Dave 1

Yes its all there on the left hand on the straight edges as well and quite far down in that you manufactured the circumstances will you always be looking for it I know Iwill.
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 6:10 PM   #42

Dave, nice photos from you again. It is not normal policy to set 1024x768 and max sharpness as normal. Better to use max resolution and shq. Then tinker around from there. Your results seem to break the rules.
Jasm, with regard to my square photo, how then do you explain the detail in the floor of the square (tiles) that is not there in the c4000z version?
Regards,
Dave

We have not heard from Marcoangels whose pics seemed as bad as mine and he was not happy with his camera.

[Edited on 7-10-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 9:18 PM   #43

I wasn't aware that there was a standard to digital picture taking and how you're supposed to setup the camer.

Anyway, I am not taking my pictures to get them printed or anything like that. I share all of my pictures on the web and therefore pick a resolution that is pretty universal for everybody to look at on their computer. If one day I choose to have my pictures printed out I will use the higher resolutions. I will try to take some max resolution pictures then since that is what you are looking for.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:18 AM   #44

My God, I had no idea what a can of worms I opened when I first posted my C-4000 problems! Thanks to all of you who have replied and posted. I still can't believe that the Olympus tech support fail to see any 'distortion' in the first 2 pics I posted in this thread ( fisheye van and erratic backyard fence). I've enjoyed the scenery pics from both 'David' and 'Dave1
I've been having trouble getting decent scenery shots, but I'm making progress on the indoor portraits, which are 90% of my pics...here is my first 'point and shoot' which shows how strong the flash is...'
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:22 AM   #45

Default flash reduction and sharpness settings

Okay, you can see that the previous pic was not only 'flashedout' but out of focus too. So, I've cut back the flash setting by '1.3' and increased the sharpness setting to '4'...
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:25 AM   #46

Default 2 in 1

Here's an example of the '2 in 1' feature...I'm still playing with the white balance settings...
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:26 AM   #47

Yeah, it's all your fault marco! :P

Anyhow, that 2nd pic looks pretty good, but it still looks like it's not focusing all the way. Perhaps play with it a big more and make sure it's completely in focus before you take the picture. I don't have many pictures of people, otherwise I would post some.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:34 AM   #48

Default think I'm getting it...

I reduced the flash to minus 1.7, increased contrast to plus 2...I think I'm finally getting some decent pics...like I said before, this is not a simple 'point and shoot', it requires a lot of experimentation, which I'm not used to, but I am finding out that there are a lot of options on this camera. Once I get the proper settings for different scenarios (ie, indoor flash, outdoor landscapes, etc), I will save them to the 'my mode' settings and then I will be able to 'point and shoot' by selecting the appropriate mode...
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:45 AM   #49

Default oops..wrong pic!

Sorry, I posted the same pic again...actually, Dave, that 2nd pic was 'sharpened' with my photimaging software, it was not as sharp, even with the 'sharpness' setting kicked up to plus 4!
Here's the pic I meant to post...
Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:56 AM   #50

So, in summary, while it is a great deal at less than $400 US, I've encountered problems with barrel distortion at wideangle, white balance, focusing and flash-fill. Still, I'm liking the camera despite it's discrepancies and hoping to achieve the results that Dave got, as displayed in the 'globe pic' on the first page of this thread.
Oh yes, another 'weird' thing...when I view my pics at a small resolution, they appear out of focus on my monitor, but as I zoom in, they get clearer. I don't know the explanation for this. With my 2 mpx camera, the reverse was true.