Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 8, 2002, 3:57 AM   #51

Default Marcoangels

You crtainly started something but it is all good fun I am still going to order mine to day and your kids images are very good.
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:21 AM   #52

Well, I think your pictures are definitely getting better. If you look up a couple of posts, I posted what my settings are (basically what I changed). I just kicked the sharpness level way up and just about left everything else at default. I have since gone and made some changes to the settings, but the pictures are still looking about the same.

I guess my next question is what resolution are you taking these pictures at? I stated I have been using 1024x768, but I believe I am going to move up to either SHQ1 or 1600x1200 at whatever I can get it to work at.

Also, you say you zoom in and they become clearer. What program are you using to view the pictures? I personally use ACDSee.

Quote:
Originally posted by marcoangels
So, in summary, while it is a great deal at less than $400 US, I've encountered problems with barrel distortion at wideangle, white balance, focusing and flash-fill. Still, I'm liking the camera despite it's discrepancies and hoping to achieve the results that Dave got, as displayed in the 'globe pic' on the first page of this thread.
Oh yes, another 'weird' thing...when I view my pics at a small resolution, they appear out of focus on my monitor, but as I zoom in, they get clearer. I don't know the explanation for this. With my 2 mpx camera, the reverse was true.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 9:01 AM   #53

OK, David, you said you wanted to see some maximum file size pictures, well here you go.

There are a couple on this first page:

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/pics/page_06.htm

All of these are at the max resolution:

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/pics/page_07.htm

The pictures of the flowers look artificial, but then again the flowers are artificial so what am I to do, eh?

These were just some pictures taken from around the office. I will go out today and try to snap some more, but I think I am going to shoot 1600x1200 pictures as it's not too big of a resolution.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:05 AM   #54

Hi Dave, yeah I noticed your settings, I've kicked the sharpness right up as well, but still have to increase it with my software. My main image manipulating software program is Microsoft's 'Picture It' and I also use Sierra's 'Snapshot', Camedia Master and Ulead's 'Photoimpact'.
I also did a test to see which settings produced the best outdoor exposures. I took the same shot with 3 different settings. The first was the 'P' mode, using auto wb, the second was 'A-S-M' mode using the 'sunshine' setting which changes the iso to 100. The third was 'movie' mode, using aperture priority with default setting and auto wb. The first and third settings produced images properly exposed. However, even though it was sunny out (FL), the second setting with iso 100 produced an extremely over-exposed image. Weird, huh?
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:26 AM   #55

Here's the pic I took using the 'A-S-M' dial position, with the 'sunshine' wb, which set iso at 100, sharpness plus4, contrast plus1, everything else default setting...ev was at '0'...barreling again noticeable on power pole.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:38 AM   #56

Yes that is rather weird. Your picture also looks like it's a bit out of focus, or maybe that's just the over-exposure coming out. I am not a big photography person and still don't have all of the lingo down just yet. I can't believe you can't get a good picture out of the camera...I know this may sound stupid, but you are pressing the shutter button halfway down first and letting the camera focus (when on auto focus) for at least a second or two before pressing the shutter button all the way down?
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:39 AM   #57

Default oops, not again!

Sorry, the previous pic was using the 'p' dial setting with auto wb and sharpness +4, contrast +1...it gave a good exposure. Now (I won't screw up), here's the 'A-S-M' dial setting using the sunshine wb and ISO 100...I think I'll stick to 'auto wb'...
Old Oct 9, 2002, 2:48 AM   #58

Yes Dave, I do push the shutter button half way and wait for the 'solid green light' before I push it all the way down. Again, I'm sending these pics to Olympus tech support and they are telling me how to get my camera serviced, but I don't want to send it in if it's not defective because the turnaround time is like 6 weeks or more! Also, I have problems accepting 'newbie' tech support replies that they can't see any evidence of 'barrel distortion'! C'mon Olympus guys, put the quaaludes down.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 6:40 AM   #59

Yeah, that first image looks better than that 2nd one...kinda weird.

Well, I am not sure what to tell you then. Hopefully they can find out what is wrong with your camera, if there is something wrong. Good luck.
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:01 PM   #60

Default camera arrived

It is going to need a lot of study taken in low light this evening very blue tomorroww is another day[img] [/img]
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote