Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2002, 1:58 AM   #1

Default C-4000 problems

I just bought the C-4000 as an upgrade from my D490 and boy, am I disappointed! First of all, most of my photos are of my now 3 year old son, and the C-4000 does not come close (in point and shoot mode) to the images from my D490! I've tried both the ESP and spot modes, but I can't get 'sharp' portrait images. Increasing the 'sharpness' in the camera menu does weird things.
Also, when taking landscape shots (pics of my house), there is a very noticeable 'barrel-effect' at wide-angle, that my D490 didn't have. Another strange occurance is the appearance of 'striations' of different color patterns on the shingles of my house...again, this was not a problem with my D490. Do you think I've got a defective camera? Most of the reviews I've read were very positive, except for chromatic aberrations...Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2002, 7:25 AM   #2

I have the 3020 the 4000 replaced it. I have no such problems except a bit of barrelling at max wide. I can easily get pin sharp portraits. Have you set it up properly e.g. resolution. This one I took only last week when printed it's pin sharp but I print the TIFF version as this is compressed a lot. I used spot in SHQ mode, portrait mode and hand held.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 7:34 AM   #3

Oops, should have resized it.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 2:04 PM   #4

thanks for your info, I've read great reviews on the 3020...I'm wondering if Oly changed the lens in order to keep the cost down? I'll try 'portrait' mode...do you find 'spot' to give a sharper image than 'esp'? Also, there is a setting called 'fulltime Auto focus', but I really can't see much difference. The worst problem is the 'fisheye' effect at wideangle. See enclosed jpeg..thanks
Old Sep 29, 2002, 2:13 PM   #5

and this...the fence is actually perfectly straight, but notice how this image has different sections leaning different ways. Do you think my camera could be defective? Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2002, 5:34 PM   #6

I have the same kind of problems with the C4000Z camera. Also I find the colour is not the same as the C40Z I used to own. I have to bump up green and red in software. Especially with shots taken with the built in flash. Not very happy with this camera even if it is cheap.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:14 PM   #7

I always try to zoom-in and step back a little if necessary to avoid the barrel distortion. Sometimes you can't and just have to put up with it. Remember it's a 32mm lens - quite wide angle.

I think it's the same lens.
Spot is really for certain lighting situations that might fool the camera - you'll learn with experience. It doen't seem to make any difference in sharpness.

David, I've always found my 3020 to be very good with colours, faithful and rich. Could it be your monitor or the way it's set-up.

A recent magazine review gave this camera good marks and they tend to be fussy.

I'd have a good read of the manual (on CD) and make sure all is set-up properly.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 2:21 PM   #8

Having looked at the pictures I think they're pretty typical for wide angle and there's no problem with the camera.

If you look at my pics on webshots I think you'll see the same effect on some of them.
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:05 PM   #9

Steve, here are two photos of the same subject taken with built in flash to show what I mean about the colour.
The c40z is just about the correct colour.

http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/c40z.jpg

http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/c4000z.jpg

I have printed out the cd manual!

[Edited on 30-9-2002 by david]
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 8:03 PM   #10

Hi,
to get rid of the "Barrel-Effekt" you can use CamediaMaster, it's able to correct this effect automaticlly.
(in the German-version: "Bild" -> "Vezerrung")

@David:
That's strange with your Colours. My C4040 doesn’t make such problems with flash-shots, but it has another Lens…

greet,
Stefan
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote