Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:47 AM   #1

I don't want to use the CLA-4 tubes, because it seem to be very big... do you know if there exists any filter manufacturer that do 45.6mm filters to attach directly to the C-770?

Thanks!

Antonio
avalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:36 AM   #2

In a word, NO! Those "threads" you see on the lens itself are merely decorative rings, although they also help to disperse light. And that 45.6mm thread, that's measured where the barrel comes out of the camera body on the inside ring that's surrounding the barrel, not the barrel itself.

You don't just want to protect the lens, you want to protect the entire lens barrel assembly, and you can't do that without the tube. There have been C-7xx users who have knocked the lens barrel out of alignment by bumping it, in most cases, it could be bumped back into alignment by bumping it in the opposite direction.

As well, the camera "breathes" when the lens barrel extends/retracts...without the tube and filter in place, you are sucking in outside dust.

The tube only adds one inch (the lens itself sticks out 1/4" when off, so I subtracted that from the tube length), and it's almost the same as if you have the camera on.

And if you ever wanted to add a lens to the C-7xx, you NEED the tube adapter...here's some lenses you may want to consider in future:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

There is a device called the Olycap which is an alternative, but only protects the lens when the camera is OFF:
http://www.olycap.com/

- Check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group, discussions, fun shooting challenges for ALL C-7xx users, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:10 AM   #3

Hi Mike:

And don't you think that it should be possible to do an UV Filter that uses the same mechanism as the standard Oly lens cap instead of threads?

Have you tried the olycap? Is this a good deal?

And one more question: if the threads in the C770 are not threads and are rings instead, how does the CLA-4 tube attach to the cammera?

Antonio
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:15 AM   #4

I'm sorry I didn't make that point clearer...the tube screws into the ring that surrounds the lens barrel where it comes out of the body of the camera. Take a look at the following picture, and you can see that there's a black tube attached to the ring surrounding the lens barrel, and the lens barrel can extend/rectract within the tube...there's also a UV filter attached to the tube:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/comparison/i...0uz-pfrC70.jpg

The silver ring you see through the glass of the filter is actually the lens barrel inside the tube. As I said, it doesn't add much size to the camera (when compared with the camera on)...actually, just a little more than the thickness of the filter attached.

Regarding Olycap, the problem is the lens extends BEYOND the Olycap's reach...the barrel pushes through the Olycap's opening so no, you couldn't attach a UV filter using that method. If you go to Olycap's page, you'll see a black C-5050 with the Olycap on, and the lens does extend beyond the Olycap, http://www.olycap.com/

As for Olycap, I did look at it early on, but since I wanted to use filters and other lenses (like what's available in the Raynox site above), I knew I NEEDED to have the tube, and as you couldn't have the filter adapter tube and Olycap, I had to choose the tube, and I don't regret it.

The CLA-4 (which accepts 55mm filters) isn't the only tube for the C-7xx on the market...if you go to http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html you'll see other tubes (both silver and black) listed for the C-7xx series of cameras (recommended in this list are the 52mm sizes only...smaller ones can cause vignetting). Also in this list you can see that other brands of cameras also require tubes for attaching filters and lenses to it...it's a common practice for cameras with extending/retracting lens barrels, because the barrel itself can't take the added weight of a few filters or a lens converter.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:47 AM   #5

:?I hadn't noticed the inner threads!!! Nlow I understand!

With this architecture its impossible to add anything to the lenses without the tube (except my idea about the cap)

Thanks for your explanations!!

Antonio
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:13 AM   #6

I just bought the package deal from 2filters.com which included the SunPak 52mm silver adapter tube, a Hoya UV protector, and a lens cap for $26, find it here: http://www.2filter.com/prices/packages.html I also bought a polarizer from them.

There is no slot/hole on the included lens cap to attach a string. I easily drilled/routed a small slot and am using my original string. Otherwise ask them about different cap keepers that they sell.

The assy makes the cam bigger when its off, but I'm really happy with it and I expect to keep it attached full-time. It REALLY protects the fragile lens and allows compatablility with many available filters and lenses.

Amazon sells the Olympus CLA-4 tube for $14, which is a good deal, but I went for the matching silver SunPak tube (the CLA-4 is black).

By the way, I ended up calling in my order to 2filters.com because I was unsure exactly what I wanted and they were very helpful over the phone and explained everything.
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:54 AM   #7

tjk3052 wrote:
Quote:
There is no slot/hole on the included lens cap to attach a string.* I easily drilled/routed a small slot and am using my original string.* Otherwise ask them about different cap keepers that they sell.
Most camera stores sell what's called a "lenscap tether"...it's a string with an elastic loop...the loop goes around the tube, and on the other end is an adhesive "puck" that sticks to the front of the lens cap and keeps it attached to the camera when off the lens, and is loop is easily removable from the tube when you don't want it dangling.

Here's my collection of caps with tethers, including one from my SLR which I've been using for 20 years:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...ff/tethers.jpg
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Here's my collection of caps with tethers, including one from my SLR which I've been using for 20 years
You have all the tricks Mike...I simply modified the new cap to work the same as the original Olympus setup, butI'm intrigued with the cap keepers where the cap "flips out"? Do they flip straight out (90 deg) or flip out and back against the barrel (270 deg)? If it flips back against the barrel, this seems like the most convenient solution to me, am I wrong? Sorry if this is a tangent to the topic...
tjk3052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:40 PM   #9

Antonio, I've bought an Olycap when i've read Mike's post and i'm very satisfied with the use and the functionality since i don't think i'm going to use lens adaptors (not in a near future). It let's youkeep the lens protectedin beetwen you're taking photos. I'm not afraid of scratching the lens while taking a picture (can happen :sadbut in partys or at home when you leave or give the camera to another person the original cover always remained out. And doesn't meke the camera any bigger than original, i got a Kodak bag where the camera slips very thigth and didnt find any trouble whit the Olycap.

Excellent service! just 3 days to send the product to Argentinawith no shipping charge!!!

Saludos de Argentina !
NACHO is offline   Reply With Quote