Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:23 PM   #1

just borrowed from a friend, and i can use the optical but i wanted to combine the digital with optical, how can i do this? didnt have the manual so i wasnt sure. sorry for a silly question, the owner didnt know how to use it
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:27 PM   #2
Administrator

JoeB_UK wrote:
Quote:
just borrowed from a friend, and i can use the optical but i wanted to combine the digital with optical, how can i do this? didnt have the manual so i wasnt sure. sorry for a silly question, the owner didnt know how to use it
You'll find in under the Mode menu. See this page of it's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...750uz_pg3.html

Personally, I keep Digital Zoom disabled on my cameras (so that I don't accidently use it).

All Digital Zoom is doingis cropping a photo (using the middle portion of the image, then discarding the edges to make it look like more optical zoom was used). Then, it enlarges the cropped portion.

This degrades quality rapidly as more Digital Zoom is used. Because Resolution is computed by multiplying width x height, if you use 2X Digital Zoom, you end up with 1/4 the resolution in the photo (of "real" pixels captured by the camera's sensor).

You can accomplish the same thing later in software anyway. Almost any image editor can crop a photo.

Irfanview is one. You can download it free from http://www.irfanview.com (make sure to download the free plugin's too).

Then, you can simply position your mouse at any point on the image, click and drag the mouse and a box will open up. You can resize the box to any desired size (leaving just the portion of the photo you want in the middle). Then, select "Edit, Crop Selection" and it will remove the outside edges (leaving only the portion of the image that was inside the box).

You can then enlarge the cropped portion under the Image, Resize/Resample Menu. I typically use Lanczos for enlarging.

But, you can't crop and enlarge as much as you think and still maintain very good detail. Just like using Digital Zoom, when you crop a photo to make it look like twice as much optical zoom was used, you end up with 1/4 the original resolution.

So, if you started out with 4 Megapixels, you end up with 1 Megapixel if you make it look like twice as much optical zoom was used. You can enlarge it again using interpolation, but this will not increase detail captured in pixels representing the subject.

If you don't plan on printing animage (or will keep the print sizes very small), then Digital Zoom will work (as will simply using an image editor to accomplish the same thing later). But, if you want larger prints, I'd advise against using it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:01 AM   #3

thanks!
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote