Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:22 AM   #1

I am planning on buying an Olympus c-4000, and have seen the posts about protecting the lens barrel. I understand there are two ways to do this:

A) Buying the "Olycap" or something similar

B) Buying a UV filter, which will both protect the lens barrel from being knocked out of alignment and also the lens itself from scratches

Questions:

1) Is this correct that the filter serves the function of the lens cap PLUS protects the glass when lens is extended?

2) If I buy the filter(s), and then at a later point want to buy an add-on lens (like a telescopic lens, for instance) Does this screw on top of the filter, or does the filter have to be taken off and put on top of the new lens? Or would I then need new filters that fit the new lens?

3) I am looking at the follwing filter set on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Does this look reasonable, price-wise? (The brand is Digital vision) I don't really know what filters go for. Is this what I need for this camera?

I have seen the link for 2filter.com but am unsure from that list what I'd need, and don't want to call them unless I plan on buying from them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Lisi
lisigef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:53 AM   #2

Olycap only protects the lens when the camera is OFF...you have to flip open the Olycap before powering up the camera to allow the lens barrel to poke through it, and as soon as you open the Olycap the lens is no longer protected.

The filter adapter tube with a UV filter allows the lens to extend and retract unexposed to the elements. The filter adapter tube will also allow you to add not only filters, but lenses too (you can click on the lenses for samples with and without the add-on lens on the camera):
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egolyc4040z.htm

As for the quality of lenses on Ebay, can't say but that brand isn't a common name. Also, the white balance on the camera takes care of fluorescent light issues so a FDL filter ISN'T a "*MUST*"; I own about 30 filters, and an FDL isn't one of them (most photographers and filter manufacturers actually call it an FLD filter).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3

Thanks - this was very helpful

Clarification:
> The filter adapter tube with a UV filter allows the lens to > extend and retract unexposed to the elements. The filter
> adapter tube will also allow you to add not only filters,
> but lenses too

So I can keep the filter on at all times undeneath the add-on lens, right? Or does it have to go over the lens?
lisigef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:09 AM   #4

Been shooting oly 4000 since 03'. Oly cap is great. Easy and simple to use. I've forgot and turned the camera on with out releasing - simple flip of the finger- the oly cap.. GGggggggkk! You won't forget it again. Wish I could use the oly cap on all my camera - very quick and simple, like turning the camera on - just a simple step done while starting up...... and the camera is a slow starter so the few time I've skipped flipping the cap open I've easly done it befor the lens extended. GREAT IDEA.
PCSketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:07 PM   #5
AMN

I boughta 41-43mm adapter and a 43-55mm stepup ring for my C-4000. Those two pieces allowed me to attache my 55mm UV and polarizer filters with cap. A little later downthe line I gotmy TCON 1.7conversion lenswhich I simply screwed into the filters. Ive used those filtersand the lens on theFuji S602Z and the Sony F717 with diferent ring and adapter combinations.
AMN is offline   Reply With Quote