Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:50 AM   #11

Default your settings

He was not still but he wasn't running as fast as a soccer player either.

Even though I have never gotten it to work for me, gibsonpd3620's suggection of learning to track the target maybe the best way to get the shot.
samplejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:33 AM   #12

If you want to get great shots in that environment you have to learn about the settings. For instance, the purpose of the Sports mode is to have the AF on at all times so you can shoot quicker but you turned it off defeating the purpose.

To get good shots in that environment I'd use Shutter priority to get a high shutter speed, Fulltime AF on, and a higher ISO.

I suggest you read through http://www.photocourse.com/ which is a whole "book" on digital photography.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 12:14 PM   #13

Default Settings

Mike:

Just a few corrections with your post so Tony doesn't get too confused.

1. Sports mode on the 2100 does not turn on Full time AF but just sets the camera for maximum possible shutter speed, by using the largest aperature it can.

2. Full Time AF reduces lag between when you press the shutter release and when the picture is taken but does nothing to stop motion from bluring while the shutter is open.

3. Is TonyG's case shutter priority mode would do him no good, as it lets you pick a higher shutter speed by compensating with a Larger Aperature. Since he is already shooting with the maximum aperature for his focal length (3.5 at 70mm) he can't raise his shutter speed any higher except by increasing relative ISO or zooming out. (the maximum aperature is 2.8 at 7mm which would increase your shutter speed but not get you very close to the action)

So in general he has done a fine job configuring the settings, night sports are just a really though to shoot with out an expensive SLR with high aperature lenes and High ISO ratings.

One last thought that has not been brought up yet, is to use a Tripod or Monopod. The reason would be to eliminate one source of bluring which is your hands shaking. Then the only thing casueing a blur would be the motion of the players, which by itself may not be to bad.
samplejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 12:45 PM   #14

Yes a Tripod is on my shopping list.. But again on advice I will be lookig for a good expensive one rather than a cheap wobbly thing..

It seems there is a camera club in the next village and I am going to go there tonight as its there meeting.. maybe theres a beginners section

Excellent link to the tutorial thanks Mike.. Bookmarked

I think moving objcts under intense false lighting thats low down is a no-no. I ahve been to bigger grounds with 40 to 70 thousand people in and the floodlights are far hgher up and give a better coverage of the are and have had betetr results

Thanks poeple.. I have probably learnt more in this thread than the last couple of weeks Only get so much time on the camera when not working...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:07 AM   #15

I went to the camera club auction. got myself a tripod for 6 pounds. it says "CF planet" on one of the dials and as I am 6ft tall its big enough for me to stand upright and use the camera.

I had some advice on the sports pictures.

1. Use a pair of grey tghts over the lens

2. A 3 inch cardboard tube on end to cut out light.

I will be trying both these at tonights game and will let you know
Old Oct 18, 2002, 8:03 PM   #16

Not much succes..

however a thought..

Neutral Density Filters?

Comments?