Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:21 PM   #11

Wanted to check for myself the depth of field on my C-8080. The SHQ photo (cropped) was taken from about 4' in bright indoor daylight at maximum zoom F3.5. Depth of field is about 1.5".
Attached Images

riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:17 AM   #12

Hi All, Thought I'd chip in here. I've just returned CW-8080 because of a focusing problem. With AF set,the lens anwhere between 28-100, camera pointed at somewhere between 4 feet & say 16 feet, it focuses at infinity! If I then switch to manual, I can focus properly. Not good enough I'm afraid. I'm not having another one! Everyone seems to have some problems . Barry Levers
barrylevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 5:58 PM   #13
Administrator

barrylevers wrote:
Quote:
Hi All, Thought I'd chip in here. I've just returned CW-8080 because of a focusing problem. With AF set,the lens anwhere between 28-100, camera pointed at somewhere between 4 feet & say 16 feet, it focuses at infinity! If I then switch to manual, I can focus properly. Not good enough I'm afraid. I'm not having another one! Everyone seems to have some problems . Barry Levers
Barry:

I didn't notice this thread until today. However, I don't see where the camera is doing anything wrong with the other posters.

The starter of the thread had blur due to a slower shutter speed of 1/10 second without a flash. That's too slow for hand held photos. All he would have needed to do was one of the following:

a. Use the flash

b. Use a tripod

or c. Increase ISO speed (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast).

His old C-2020z didn't have problems because it was probably boosting the ISO speed to around 320 or so. The newer model behaves differently (to keep noise levels lower). Youneed to set it higher if you want it higher (at the expense of increased noise).

The photo of the baby looked fine to me. It could have been a depth of field issue (it's pretty shallow at wider apertures and closer focus distance with any camera), or he may have just needed to increase sharpening a little via camera settings for the desired result).

As for your problem, you may want to post a sample or two if you want some help figuring out what's wrong. It's probably something pretty simple (as in you need to change the focus mode, or your technique).

Again, I just noticed this thread today. However, I've seen no evidence of anything the cameras are doing wrong. It's just a matter of understanding how a particular model works and adjusting how you are using it to meet your needs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 7:28 PM   #14

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 99% of the time the poster of messages like this just hasn't taken the time to figure out how to use the camera.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:12 PM   #15

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but 99% of the time the poster of messages like this just hasn't taken the time to figure out how to use the camera.
Sure.

At risk of exposing myself! Any idea why the following images are blurred?

Both shots taken in good light.

http://www.godsell4.plus.com/velidhu...s/PA130761.jpg
http://www.godsell4.plus.com/velidhu...s/PA130792.jpg

The camera was in P-mode, AF was Spot Focus, with exposure set to iESP.

thanks.
pzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:56 PM   #16

1) Sure you were using AF?

2) I've experienced AF "balk" in almost every Oly I've used - but it's a rarity. Occasionally the camera won't focus properly - even in broad daylight like that in your beach shots. Solution? Zoom out, then back in. Happens VERY rarely. I wouldn't return an otherwise excellentcamera that has trouble obtaining correct focus once in everyfew hundredshots. My brother has reported the same thing in his G5. I think it's a function of contrast detection. Next time this happens try zooming out just a step or two, then back in (or vice sersa). Should fix it.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:42 PM   #17

Hmmm. Any chance that the camera had been taken out of a dry, air conditioned environment and into a warm, humid one? There could be simple condensation on the lens. No AF in the world can help that... (This has happened to me often in tropical environments where I've just got off an air conditioned airplane into a warm humid place. The pictures look similar to those fuzzy beach shots you've got there.)

Typeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:50 AM   #18

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
1) Sure you were using AF?

2) I've experienced AF "balk" in almost every Oly I've used - but it's a rarity. Occasionally the camera won't focus properly - even in broad daylight like that in your beach shots. Solution? Zoom out, then back in. Happens VERY rarely. I wouldn't return an otherwise excellentcamera that has trouble obtaining correct focus once in everyfew hundredshots. My brother has reported the same thing in his G5. I think it's a function of contrast detection. Next time this happens try zooming out just a step or two, then back in (or vice sersa). Should fix it.
Spot Focus? the default should be auto focus... and the two pics you gave links for look like they have nothing within the center for the camera to focus on...
LeeBuhrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:31 PM   #19

If this Helps I just got the C8080 about a week ago. I love it. It is very easy to use and can be customized as well. I have had no problems with blurry pictures. All I use is the defaults. At night I use the night setting ...

I also got the underwater dive case. Can't wait to get some bottom time and take some new pics.

Hister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:03 PM   #20

I have owned the C8080 since may this year and have been very satisfied with the camera. I admit there have been occasions where the camera has had problems focussing but is probably due to lower light conditions etc. 90% of my photos are more than acceptble in colour and sharpness. Recently I had 120 photos printed from where I purchased the camera and the staff were very impressed with the colour and sharpness of the photos, also friends who see the photos can't believe they are from a digital camera. This shot which I have posted before, is why I love my camera. - iso-100, ap.-4.5 sp-1/100 sec.
Attached Images

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote