Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1

I just got my Olympus C8080 yesterday. I'm very satisfied with the button layout. Since I've been using Olympus camera for a long time, I'm very familiar with their buttons and design.

However, I have a huge problem. Virtually all of my shots taken are blurry. Does anyone know why?

The movie mode is awesome. Does anyone know how many minutes of movie I can take on a 512MB compact flash card?

Between compact flash card I and compact flash card II, are there any big differences when shooting pictures?

my2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:44 AM   #2

Unfortunately without pictures, shooting settings (esp. shutter speed), and situation information there's not enough information there to make a judgement.

It's like saying, "My car is making a noise, what's wrong with it?"

We need more information.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3

The aperture is F2.4. Shutter speed is 1/10? I haven't changed any settings. Using the default out of box.

Is it a common problem of Olympus c8080? I noticed someone pointed same blurring problem in previous posts.

Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:58 AM   #4

You're going beyond the limits of handheld photography.

The minimum recommended speed for handheld (at full wide) is 1/30th of a second; I say full wide because as you zoom in you have to compensate for the magnification...the rule is 1/focal length, and your camera's full zoom is 140mm so for a handheld shot at full zoom you should be at 1/140th of a second (or the closest setting to that number).

This is true for all cameras (including FILM)...if you add a 2.2x teleconverter to your camera, your maximum zoom would now be 308mm so you would then have to compensate to 1/300th of a second.

If you use digital zoom you have to compensate for that too...with digital zoom you have a total of 15x or 2100mm...so you have to be in the range of 1/2000th of a second for a handheld shot.

It's part of the learning curve. You can use slower shutter speeds, but you risk blurring while handheld. You may want to hit the following site to refresh yourself on the basics:
http://209.196.177.41/

Regarding the compact flash issue, the only difference is the thickness of the card...of course if you go to a microdrive your access saving and reading pictures will be slower since it's a mechanical device, so it will be slower saving pictures.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5

Thanks Mike! But why the default shutter speed is 1/10 for my camera? Should I change it and save it in my mode?

Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:48 PM   #6
TC3

my2004 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Mike! But why the default shutter speed is 1/10 for my camera? Should I change it and save it in my mode?

You are making me confused now. In auto the camera should be taking blur free pics providing you are not shooting in very low light without flash. In manual you adjust the shutter speed or aperture manually each time to suit individual situations.

Maybe you should read the manual carfeully to see if you need to adjust anything but i always thought a mode setting was simply a preset option. other then that i know nothing about the camera:roll:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:02 PM   #7

I did take pictures at night time. But it's not dark. I didn't use flash though. My Olympus 2020 never needs flash at night time.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:22 PM   #8

Try to pop up the flash and you will see the shutter speed change (to a higher value) depending on the zoom you are applying.
SnowScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:27 AM   #9

I just bought a c-8080 last weekend. It appears to have similar problem as my2004 mentioned. The attached is a cropped picture that I shot at SHQ with a tripod at daytime. It's blurry in my view. Most of pictures that I took with 8080 have this problem. I also find this camera is very sensitive to the hand vibration. Just wondering whether to take it back.
Attached Images

azhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:50 PM   #10

You have a couple of issues with this shot that make it appear to be blurry though it doesn't look too bad to me. The ISO is 100. The camera ISO Starts at 50 and things get noisy as the ISO goes up. Try shooting the same shot at ISO 50. The next think is the depth of field. Your aperature is set to 2.8 which is going to give you a very narrow depth of field with your forground and background being blurry.
host is offline   Reply With Quote