Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 3, 2002, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Oly D550 owners?

Is there anyone in the forum who owns the Olympus D550? I'm thinking of getting one and it would sure be handy to have some solid input about it.

Thanks!

PatoG
PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2002, 2:44 AM   #2

Hi,yes i own a d550.It is an excellen t camera IMHO,tho,of course, i am along way from being an expert. It seems to be very well constructed,the pics are great and it is easy to use. I have had no problems with it,and I don't believe that you will go wrong in buying one.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 2:57 AM   #3

Thanks Kanji, I believe I'm ready to buy!:P
Old Oct 13, 2002, 9:44 PM   #4

Purchased D550 at Circuit City for $399. Two weeks later camera was marked down to $349. Went back and had the $50 + tax taken off credit card. No problem. For a newbie (like me), the instruction manual was a little hard to follow and the multi-lingual little booklets were more nuisance than help.
Ultimately, you learn by shooting. And because it is digital you can erase your bad shots and hopefully learn from them. You easily get 21 reasonably good quality shots per 16 mb card. the LCD screen on the back is good sized but it's easy and it's fun to hook them up to your TV or VCR, too! The 16 Mb memory is inadequate - same mentality as "starter ink cartridges for a new printer". I purchased an additional 128 mb card for $55 at Circuit City. Hook up to an XP platform computer through the USB supplied is extremely easy. Hooking it up to my laptop Windows 2000NT was more problematic. For some reason the Camedia software does not support the USB for several platforms. Went out and purchased a Flash Path Smart Media card adapter. It goes in the "A" disk drive like a regular diskette except that it can hold up to 128Mb. It was slower than the USB but it worked. After using the camera for about a month, I thought the pictures came out great - especially portraits. Although smaller than other 3 Mb Olympus models, I found it personally to be somewhat bulky carrying around in a pocket or my wife's purse. So, on the 30th day I returned it to Circuit City and they refunded the charge in full (no restocking charge!). After getting a better sense of what I want - eseentially a 4 mb ultracompact - I bought a new Olympus D40 online for $444 including shipping.
By the way, I printed out 4 X 6's and even an enlarged 8 X 10 with the D550 on my new Canon 9000 photo printer. They looked great. People thought they had been professionally processed!
shotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2002, 4:57 PM   #5

Default Olympus D550

Hi shotsman,
Thanks for the quick reply and all the info.

PatoG :P