Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 6, 2002, 10:44 AM   #1

Default Need help / input for a good Olympus with great macro!

I am looking at a number of cameras. The choices are plenty, but narrow substantially for those with excellent macro capability. How does Olympus stack up?
Thanks!
Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:25 PM   #2

One suggestion is to add one or more macro-converters to the front of your lens like a filter to improve it. See:

http://www.camerastore.com/dl_cat_A/-A12_closeup.html

That is IF your camera's lens allows for a threaded filter. For instance, some Oly cameras like the C-700 require a filter adapter "tube" to be screwed on in order to use filters (I got one for my C700). Other cameras don't allow for any filter to be attached.

Some cameras may have vignetting with certain attachments too (especially at wide angle settings).

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by Mike_PEAT]
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 2:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I have used them in the past for 35 mm photography. I'd like to keep the digital really portable and carry it around in my briefcase keeping the peripherals to a minimum which narrows the hunt for me. I am seriously looking at the Nikon 4500, 5700 and the Sony DSC 707 and Fuji 602. I would love to see anything on the UZ Olympus models, since I keep hearing good things about them.

[Edited on 10-6-2002 by Telecaster]
Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2002, 8:30 PM   #4

The new Oly C-730UZ has a "Super Macro Mode" for photos as close as 1.2" (if I remember right, the 700 and 720 is 4"). Unfortunately the camera is not being released until Oct15 so no one has reviews yet.

I had my hands on one on Friday, but I couldn't play with every mode. I'm a C700 user btw.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 7:01 PM   #5
PSP

The new C-4000 also offers the Super Macro mode. Reviewers love the image quality and the value for the price
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 8:01 PM   #6

I agree with that. It was for the super maco mode why I chose this camera C4000.
david is offline   Reply With Quote