Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:08 PM   #1

Default 2100 sports shots

Well, Ive had my 2100 for about two months now. Bought it refurbed - camera came like new. My intent is to take sports photos, of all kinds. In daylight, works really well, although it really takes some practice to work with and catch good shots, with the UZIs EVF. Pre focus is a must with the sports like soccer.

My dilema is night time sports - just not enough light, under the lights, to allow stop action shutter speeds. I push the ISO to 400, force shtter speeds to 200, and get pretty dim shots. Is this the best the camera can do? Im considering adding an A200, for a little extra reach, but that will probably trim another stop off the already low nightime conditions..

Anyone wrestling with the same issue?

OTHERWISE, Im totally happy with the camera (see below). The 10X just lets me get right into the thick of things, and grab those up close candid shots I love.. (not a fan 'say cheese' & chiclet smiles)
db27513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2002, 10:29 AM   #2

I have the same problems. I've had mine ( refurb) for about a month. My outdoor soccer shots are great but I am struggling to get good indoor gym basketball shots. I've tried the same things as you have. If i bring the shutter down to 1/20 or 1/30 - the shots are perfect as far as brightness but typically there will be too much blurring of the action. The best i can do it seems is to shoot at 400 iso and force shutter to about 1/120. The pictures are dark but I can lighten them up with software - they're passable but not great.
jfortais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 2:39 PM   #3

Same here with my E100RS , i can take awesome pictures outside of softball , baseball, football, motorcross, anything, but indoors in some gyms Volleyball and baskeball im struggling with , i tried the same thing with the iso, it dont really help much. Some gyms are better lite , they do better. anyway its very frustrating!
If you want to check out my shots , have a lot of diff shots of sports and still shots.
www.pbase.com/wvyankeegurl

hey if you ever figure it out on the indoor shots let me know !
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2002, 4:07 PM   #4

I am pretty new at the digital game but has anyone tried a Metz flash set on winder mode? I realize that the output is limited but at least it may keep up in what I call burst mode. I am waiting on my E-100RS but am hoping that the flash will help. I purchased this just for the purpose of sports and can't wait to get it. I am sure that the combination of the E20N and the FL-40 flash does not cut it at high school football (night) games. By the way, Yankeegurl, looked at your photos on Pbase and love them!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:12 PM   #5

I suppose the flash is an option, but from what I hear, the pros all use Cannon D30/60's or Nikon D1s.. but the expense is at least $10k or more, just to get started with one or two big lenses.. I guess Im happy to dabble with my 2100 until I get serious
db27513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 5:33 PM   #6

Default SAME HERE!

http://www.accrington-stanley.co.uk

the ashton games shows the night shots. pretty bad

I went to ISO 400 and under floodlights the players are far too blured.. I have given up with night ones and just gonna concentrate on days

uzi c2100uz
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 5:35 PM   #7

have a look furthur down this messageboard at the thread

What went wrong. Extreme light problems?
Old Oct 10, 2002, 11:50 PM   #8

Check this thread out.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=3584
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 4:57 AM   #9

Hmm yes had external flash mentioned before. unfortunatly as you can see from my album this is none league football with low floodlights. no matter where you go on the ground your near to the playing area and I doubt the players or other fans are going to appreciate a big flash going off just as there about to head a goal in.

I would love to see the results of using an external flash. A picture without and a picture with to the the difference.. But I cant see many liking me using one and putting the players off