Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:54 AM   #1

I tried placing this in the "What camera to buy" but didn't get much of a response. Unfortunately some light fingered so and so stole my suitcase last weekend with my 5060 in it, and it was a camera which gave me much pleasure and very good shots. I liked the wide angle especially, and since I use it for work (journalism) I needed the 5m pixels.

The question is, a year in photograhy nowadays is a lifetime. What should I be looking at today? The 8080 is a bit big for my needs, and the budget is about $500 for a 5m pixel advanced amateur camera with wide angle, the long end being not important since I have a D70 for more serious work. This is for quick pix. I shall probably buy another 5060, but if there are any suggestions I would welcome them, if only so that I can compare.

Thanking you in advance
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:56 PM   #2

Considering what you said about your 5060 and that I've had mine for 10 months now and like it more all the time, I'd strongly recommend getting another. You can probably get one for 20% or more less than your original. You know what you're getting, how to use it already.....it's a no brainer.....Maybe you should ask yourself another question. Would you have been ready to replace it just because another model came out that may be better, but you're not sure? I'd get another 5060....no contest for the money....
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:08 PM   #3

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
What should I be looking at today?
Have you considered the Casio P-600? Look at the Casio forum here on Steve's digicam forums for a few satisfied customers. I've owned Olympuses and Casios, and have been very happy with both. I'm wondering whether to upgrade to a P-600. My local camera shop here in the UK, which tests all the cameras it sells, says it's brilliant.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 1:42 PM   #4

Well, I thought long and hard, and since I already have the D70 with the 17/55 lens I decided to go small digital, like very small, shirt pocket size. It is a camera which is for convenience as well as quality, soI sacrificed the wide angle and have ordered the new Sony P150 7mp camera. Time will tell if I have made the right decision, but be assured that either way I'll let you all know within a week or two! The nail biting begins................................
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote