Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:16 PM   #1

Is there another Olympus camera with an opticalzoom of 8x or better with a stabilised lens to match that of the 2100?

The reason for asking is Olympus, here in England,have had my 2100 for service/repair since the start of May. The camera on its own was working fine but when I put a tcon-17 on the end it wouldn't come into focus.

By the time I'd beenwithout the camera all Summer I, and the local Olympus agents, started jumping up and down and gave them a deadline for it's return. To their credit Olympus sent me a replacement 2100 as mine is in Portugal, where they have centralised their digital repairs in Europe. Apparently they were/are waiting for a part.

Unfortunately the replacement gave about 2 hours use before it started draining batteries as soon as I went up and down the zoom a couple of times. They haven't got another 2100 to loan but instead haveloaned mea C750. In some ways it's a better camera, its 4mp allow me to crop much tighter than the 2.1 and it's noticeably lighter on batteries - even my 2000s will do 90 minutes with much zooming with the LED display on.

The critical problem though is I'm shooting sports action from a standing position out in the open and I'm getting a number of sub standard shots because I don't have the time the 750 needs toset myself before shooting.

The 3 key fuctions for me arelong optical zoom, the stabilised lens and the drive shoot facility. Is there an Olympus model that fits those criteria so that I can suggest they lend me that instead of the c750?
kevinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #2

Canon S1 IS.
Panasonic DMC-FZ series.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

Nikon just introduced the 8800 - 8Mp, 10x (35-350mm equiv) and IS - will probably run ~$1000. Rumor has it that Oly is supposed to introduce their own 8MP long-zoom w/ IS at Photokina - wait and see. Surely will cost ~$1000 as well.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 4:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Do Olympus monitor this forum??

I assume it's only coincidence that this saga had been dragging on for 4 months yet within 24 hours of going public I get a phone call to say the repair is complete and because they can't find my tcon they are replacing it with a new one! I'm shall be returning the C750 and collecting my own gear tomorrow.

kevinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:51 PM   #5

If Olympus is not monitoring this fine forum, they should be.

Two cents :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:01 PM   #6

If they were monitoring the forum, the cameras from the C-740 onward would have had a built-in focus assist beam, an eyecup, a metal tripod socket, and the other things I've been yelling about in Olympus forums.

I have to admit though that they have made some of the changes I have been yelling about, like having a hotshoe on the camera, dual strap points, and speaker, but that still leaves lots to be desired when compared to the C-2100 and other 4-digit C-series camera (not including the C-2100 IS).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote