Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

New computer with Windows XP installs Camedia 2.0 fine & I have updated with a update from Olympus website, but the computer will not recognize my Olympus C-1200 as new hardware. I can download a driver, but computer won't activate it from Camedia or the control panel/cameras/add new hardware windows. thanks

uneedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2

For XP Oly says you need at least version 2.5 of Camedia...problem is you can't just download an upgrade of it; they have a patch from 2.5 to 2.51 to fix a bug, and a 2.0 to 2.1, but no way to upgrade (at least on their sites) to upgrade to an XP compatible version of their software for free (the idiots), especially for cameras like yours which requires the Camedia software.

There's two ways to deal with this...call your local Olympus division and yell at them begging for the 2.5 upgrade for free and why the hell they don't have an XP compatible version available for download for free (don't yell at first though), or getting yourself a card reader which works flawlessly with XP and skipping the need for the Camedia software alltogether.

Note that I'm a C-700 user and I'm not 100% sure the file format on the C-2100 cards are card reader compatible...hopefully another C-2100 user will chime in and confirm this. You might want to confirm on another forum where a lot of C-2100 users hang out, like:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1008
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3

I have WINXP OS & use C-2100 w/Camedia 2.0

The Camedia software (in my case 2.0) & USB Driver which are on the disk that came with the camera are sufficient. The problem is that you haven't gotten the OLY's USB driver to install or to install properly.

I think you'll just have to beat on the OS a little to get the driver installed. (In hindsight it amazes me how much I've had to work to install drivers in Windows...the last go around was getting an ATI 9600se to install, boy was that fun ....worked on that half a day & if I have to do it again I don't think I can remember the tricks). Try a couple of different approaches (besides just installing the driver from the disk). In Control Panel select Scanners & Cameras then Add Device. Select OLY but don't select a particular Model (as C-2100 is not listed). Click HAve Disk & point to the USB driver folder on the CD drive that has the Camedia disk ( you'll probably have to go right to the USB folder [for WIN2K] & find the .inf file). If that doesn't work try to go thru install new hardware route in the control panel.

Remember to keep drilling down to the folders on the Camedia disk that have the usb driver file(s). Try different paths (thru the new hardware install) & eventually it will happen. The basic theme (or story to tell Windows) is:
- Its new hardware
- Yes it's hooked up/installed
- It's not in the list....I want to select it manually or from a list
- Get to the closest thing in the list then use "Have Disk" & drill into the relevant folders/files on the OLY software disk (In this case USB\WIN2000\.........INF)

Eventually you'll hit jackpot.

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:51 PM   #4

Or just purchase a Sandisk 8-in-1 reader for $20-25 on Ebay and you will be set for years regardless of media you use.

Life is toooooooooo short to futz with drivers...imho.

Two cents.

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:05 PM   #5

Thanks! sounds like the easiest and best solution. Was kind of dissappointing to have a camera which I love and that cost more than the computer not to work.

uneedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:53 PM   #6

Sorry, but that's reality...you bought a camera that was early USB...if anyone OLYMPUS should be blamed for not providing a free firmware upgrade that fixes the USB issue which prevents the camera from being shown as a drive like todays digicams can.

As well, blame OLYMPUS for not providing a free upgrade to the XP issue...from 2.0 to 2.5 should be provided free for those owners who have these types of cameras.

Olympus may make a good product, but they are lousy at supporting owners, and treat us like idiots.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote