Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:15 AM   #1

Well, it would appear that the rumor which first appeared months ago - that Oly would be introducing an 8Mp long zoom w/ IS - was just that, a rumor.

Has Olycompletely abandoned IS? I note that Oly has not introduced a singlestabilized lens for its E system SLR's, which is a complete mystery to me.

There was also a rumor that they would introduce another 4/3 system camera - a non-dSLR, fixed-lens model. I suppose that's not going to happen, either. I wish Oly would get away from the gimmicks - like the C-7000 (7Mp in a 1/1.8 sensor???) and the Stylus Verve - and produce more serious models like the C-8080 with more consistency. How long will theC-8080 remain Oly's best prosumer offering?

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Olympus really got burned by the IS issue...they lost their shirts because no one would buy the C-2100 at the price they were selling it for. To be candid, I don't know why people still go for cameras in the C-7xx series when there's the Panasonic DMC-FZ series and the Canon S1 IS (except the Oly still takes better pictures).

From what I heard from Oly's mouth months ago, Oly was never going to release a fixed lens 4/3 camera...it was going to be a less expensive 4/3 that can use the same lenses which the E-300 is, and next year they are going to release another professional 4/3 camera (but they should have also released it now because they are behind in terms of MP compared to other pro dSLRs).

I'm hoping to try the E-300 at the Toronto camera show coming up in a few weeks.

As for the Verve, you may not personally like it but unfortunately in most cases it's the consumer end that makes the bucks, and a stylish Stylus (say that 10 times fast) is going to sell because it isn't ordinary. Sure we wouldn't buy it, but anyone looking at "E" Olys isn't the market for this camera. This is more for schoolkids, teenagers, etc.

Regarding the 8080 being on the shelf too long, how many camera makers are making consumer cameras with more than 8mp? If you look at the medium format digital cameras, they start at 11mp (then go to 16mp and 22mp)...how much higher should a consumer camera like the C-8080 go in terms of mp?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 12:54 PM   #3

I'm not interested in more Mp, b/c I don't believe that more Mp automatically translates into higher image quality and improved performance - esp when you're cramming more and more Mp into a 1/1.8 or 2/3 type sensor. I'd actually like to see a 6Mp version of the C-8080 - lower noise, better dynamic range. Or a version w/ a 4/3 sensor - sure, the objective (and hence the camera generally) would be substantially larger, but it would mark the first truly professional non-dSLR. Maybe there's not really a market, but given sales of Digital Rebels and D70's I think it would succeed.

I'm talking about design philosophies. E.g., I'm not sure why Oly felt compelled to develop a side-swing mirror box. What's the practical advantage? The EVOLT-300 is still too large to fit in your pocket. Another gimmick - they should concentrate on improved quality, not innovation for the sake of being different.

Re: being burned by the 2100 - that is ancient history. More and more manufacturers are introducing IS, and Oly is - again - behind the times.

Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:02 PM   #4
blr

I would like to see somebody making a larger sensor prosumer camera. The Olympus 4/3 sensor is IMO a good platform for such a cam. Imagine something with the feature list of 5060 or 8080 but with a 6 MP 4/3 sensor. This would improve the image quality significantly. With larger sensor noise is not an issue at ISO 400 and even 800, which means that faster shutter speeds can be used , thus eliminating to some extend the need of IS.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:19 PM   #5

The next 4/3 that Olympus will make will be a pro model to update the 5mp E-1 (I was at an Olympus seminar a few months back).

The problem though with 4/3 is the lens of cameras like the 8080/5060 would have to be longer to compensate for it, and at that point might as well go for the dSLR.

If people cared about photo quality they'd go for a dSLR anyway, and if people just wanted snapshots they'd go for a smaller P&S.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:09 PM   #6

I disagree.I have found plenty of interest expressed in a non-dSLR with a larger sensor format. I don't like lugging my S2 and lenses around. I think there's a market for a dSLR with non-interchangeable lens (can't have an EVF with full-frame transfer). Unfortunately, most consumers are bewitched by the Mp race so I - instead of what I crave - I expect to see 10Mp 1/1.8 type sensors in a few years. Hooray...
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:52 AM   #7

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
I disagree.**I have found plenty of interest expressed in a non-dSLR with a larger sensor format.* I don't like lugging my S2 and lenses around.* I think there's a market for a dSLR with non-interchangeable lens (can't have an EVF with full-frame transfer).
But that's just it...you bring multiple lenses with you because you have the option to use different lenses...if you don't like lugging lenses around, why don't you just bring ONE? Or do like those with non-interchangeable lenses do and bring converters that screw on the end which are usually smaller and ligher than a dSLR lens.

When I bought my SLR over 20 years ago, I had a choice on which lens to buy and chose a medium zoom that would handle 90% of what I wanted to do and fit within my budget; I only had that one lens for the 20 years I used that camera until I bought the C-700 fixed lens ultra zoom, only because I wanted to get into digital and the dSLRs weren't that great at the time.

It's getting close to the quality that I want in a dSLR that I'd hope to use for many years, but not just yet. When the time comes to buy, I'll buy the body and again choose the one lens that would handle most that I need without breaking the bank.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:18 AM   #8

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Olympus really got burned by the IS issue...they lost their shirts because no one would buy the C-2100 at the price they were selling it for. "snippage"
Actually, I bought a C2100 & after my friends saw the results, at least 3 others bought one too. I shot in manual mode & loved the images. While other "better" cameras have shown up in the mean time, if I had one camera that I could go back in time & buy again, it would be the C2100...hands down. It's possibly the best bang-for-the-buck camera to ever be made (& I have many 8x10 prints to prove it)!
Old Oct 16, 2004, 3:03 AM   #9

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Olympus really got burned by the IS issue...they lost their shirts because no one would buy the C-2100 at the price they were selling it for.
Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I bought a C2100 & after my friends saw the results, at least 3 others bought one too. I shot in manual mode & loved the images.
But did you and your friends pay the original selling price of $1000 for the camera? Very few people did. It wasn't until Olympus reduced the price to get rid of stock that the camera started to sell.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:27 PM   #10
Administrator

Not to mention how much more money Olympus made on the E-100RS disaster. It is quite possibly the best sports camera out there but when introduced at $1400 for a 1.6MP camera - it bombed big time. If you don't need to make big prints then the E-100RS is the fastest 10x stabilized lens super-zoom on the planet at 15fps.

It sold really well for $500 after it hit the liquidators, it was all over eBay in quantity and now is one of the most sought after cameras around. When one goes on eBay now it doesn't last very long.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote