Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:16 PM   #1

Default Olympus D-40 (best settings?)

What are the best settings for the D-40? I just got mine today and some of the photos I took (mainly indoor and people) were blown out because the flash is soo bright.
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:47 PM   #2

There's no "best" setting, every situation is different (that's why it has all the settings it has).

Since you only got it today I suggest you read through ALL the manuals including (if there is one) the reference PDF manual on the CD.

I also suggest you read up on a site like http://www.photocourse.com (a free "book" online) which has a full chapter dedicated to using the flash.

First tip people say is stay away from the AUTO mode and use the Program (P) mode...you have to know a little bit more about the camera, but it's worth it. I've never used AUTO, or any of the pictograph modes (landscape, portrait, sports, etc.). But if you're just starting out, you may want to use those modes, esp. portrait in this case.

p.s. In future it's better for diagnosing problems if you post some samples of your problem pictures (not at full size though).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:01 PM   #3

Default p.p.s. to my p.s. above...

Regarding posting troublesome pictures each picture contains information about the settings the camera at the time that the photo was taken. This is called Exif...as an example:

ExposureTime : 1/60Sec
FNumber : F2.8
ExposureProgram : Shutter Priority
ISOSpeedRatings : 200
Flash : Not fired
FocalLength : 5.90(mm)

Although you may not understand this stuff yourself (it's good to learn though), those trying to figure out your problem will and it will help them.

If you want to read this information in your pictures yourself, you can get an Exif reader from
http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/min...creenshot.html

To use it, just open up one of the pictures you've taken with your camera inside the program.

Oh, and finally give yourself some time to get used to the camera...I've been taking pictures with complicated cameras for several decades, and it took me a few days to get great used to my Olympus (C-700UZ).
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:42 PM   #4

Hey Mike,

You weren't kidding! I've got a tonof stuff to learn about this thing. Seems a little overwhelming.

Kelly
Old Oct 11, 2002, 1:04 AM   #5

But the benefit of digital photography over film photography is the relative cheapness of taking digital pictures and viewing them on the computer (printing is expensive but I'm ignoring that here). Get your set of good NiMh rechargeable batteries (1800mAh or higher) and a charger, and then your only ongoing cost for practicing is the small cost of charging the batteries (for digital cameras, alkaline are very expensive and don't last long, and the lithium batteries are also very expensive as a one time use battery).

In the 2 months I've owned my camera I've taken over 350 pictures so I've gotten in lots of practice (something that would be very costly with film). I've seen people who have taken 5,000 to 10,000 pictures a year with these cameras.

So, you just have to get out there and practice.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 1:51 AM   #6

Why did you select the C700-UZ? I have a 2100-UZ but I wanted somthing smaller to take on vacation. I was really torn between the D-40 and the Canon S-40. I think the thing that sold me on the D-40 was it's ability to take great nighttime shots with the built-in noise reduction system. Hopefully I chose right.

By the way, I'm planning on taking some shots of fireworks next week using a tripod. What settings would you recommend?

Thanks,
Kelly