Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:22 AM   #1

Default Enabling Panorama Mode on Non-Olympus Smartmedia Cards

Hello everyone,

I thought I read somewhere that it's possible to modify a non-olympus smart media card to work with Panorama mode. Is this correct? What do I need? when answering please consider the fact that I own an Apple PowerMac so the fix needs to be compatible.

Thanks,
Kelly
kcrossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2002, 5:47 PM   #2
Cam

Not sure you can...I thought there was a physical difference in the internal workings of the card.

Anyone else....??
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 5:22 AM   #3

Default Software can do it

Adobe Photo Elements will stitch panorama shots together, no matter what brand of memory card you're using.
clarencejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2002, 11:54 AM   #4

1) Olympus cards have an extra code in their format...it's possible to do with third party cards but the only way is with a card reader and PC software...haven't seen how to do it with a Mac.

2) Yes you can use third party software to stich together pictures, but you do require an Oly card to turn on the Panoramic assist on the camera...otherwise you have to guess where one ends and the next begins when taking the pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Not sure you can...I thought there was a physical difference in the internal workings of the card.

A nyone else....??
Just a note regarding the file structure in the smart cards. If you ever use the smart card in a MP3 player you can forget about using it in a Camera ever again. The FAT files in the MP3 takes something out of the card that cannot be fixed. I had my oly card sent in and the teckies were helpless in recovering the original file structure. Now I use a 16MB OLY card to hold only 3 of 4 songs. That is sure a thrill!!!

Camedia (Paul)
Camedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 2:09 AM   #6
Administrator

There's a program to fix those cards, look here:

http://www.parkverbot.org/harald/download/

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 3:44 AM   #7

I cam across this site that explains whats going on a little better. Given that your a Mac user and not knowing your background, you might not want to attempt this mod.

http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/pan/

-Robert
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 6:13 PM   #8

Default Re: Software can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarencejones
Adobe Photo Elements will stitch panorama shots together, no matter what brand of memory card you're using.
I also have used Photo Elements to stitch pictures. My pictures were handheld in "P". Elements stitched the pictures nicely, but due to the variable exposure due to shutter action, the completed picture revealed differences in exposure, particularly in cloud and sky sections. The problem was lessened by using full manual settings, but there were still problems. The best completed pictures have been created using Camedia 2.5. Access 'Image', then 'Stitch', then Panorama 2D.
adalem is offline   Reply With Quote