Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

Hi,

I recently posted this over at dpreview, and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have so far heard of one other person with exactly the same problem. I need to decide whether to return my camera for an exchange or not!

I just got a new C-8080WZ a couple of days ago, and I have a bit of an odd artefact appearing on my viewfinder (both LCD and EVF): in low light, a slightly dark band is visible just to the right of the centre of the viewfinder. It's not visible in bright light, and doesn't seem to affect the final image. But it is clearly visible in a dimly-lit room. It goes away when the camera is focusing, and reappears when the shooting data reappears in the VF. This is what it looks like (this is an extreme example):

http://www.edpavelin.co.uk/8080_line.jpg

It also appears in recorded movies (even played back on a PC), so it is not an LCD fault.

Has anyone else seen this? Do all 8080's do this? Or is mine defective?

Thanks,
Ed.
epavelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:47 PM   #2

Ed,

I've had my 8080 for 3 months now and I've never experienced anything like that.

I'd say return it.
Keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:48 AM   #3

I emailed Olympus Europe about this, including a photo of the effect, and this was their response:

"certain band on the C-8080's LCD/EVF is normal, especially under specific lighting conditions. This kind of band may also appear in the recorded movie, but this should be a rare case, not a rule. However, the image sensor of the C-8080 is primarily optimised for still photography, which is also the area where the camera performs the best. (As various indipendent tests also indicate.)"

So it sounds like my camera is normal. It's certainly something that most people probably wouldn't notice immediately, as it's only obvious under very dim lighting conditions.

Ed.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:32 PM   #4

Go back to the place you got it and ask them about it...ask to try out a demonstrator and see if it has the same issue.

I'm sorry, but that is not normal.

The only type of band which is common is a bright streak which happens when in bright light like pointing at the sun.

Hurry before your exchange time runs out and you have to keep that camera and ship it to Olympus repair!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:20 AM   #5

You are probably right. After quizzing them further, it turns out Olympus thought I was referring to the violet bands/bright light phenomenon. Now they have gone quiet.

I have sent the camera back to the dealer, who said they will exchange it if there's anything wrong. We'll see what happens.

Ed.