Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:39 PM   #1

Please ignore previous post I tried to cut and paste it from Word and it came out blank.

Question:

I know Olympus doesn't produce a macro lens for the 8080. Is there an external vendor that produces a 5x (give or take) macro lens that is compatible with the 8080 and CLA-8 adapter?

Thanks in advance!
WBanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2004, 3:13 AM   #2

Next time you could have used the "Edit" button to edit your original message rather than posting a whole new one.

Anyway you didn't say which MCON you were refering to, but they (and other add on macro lenses) are measured in diopters. 1/diopter is the maximum distance in metres the camera can focus to at infinity. For instance, the MCON-35 is a +3 diopter which means with the camera set to infinity the maximum distance it can focus to is 1/3meter or 33.3cm...anything closer you can focus on, and anything further than that would be beyond infinity (to the camera). The Nikon and Canon macro lenses are also measured in diopters, the Nikon 62mm diameter 6T is +2.9 which means 1/2.9m or 34cm max focusing distance, and the Canon 500D available in 52mm, 58mm, 72mm, 77mm is a +2.0 diopter or 1/2m (50cm) max focusing distance.

But the secret in either using the above macro lenses or the cheaper/inferior diopter lenses is using the camera's zoom to magnify the image. The 8080 being a wide zoom camera only has a maximum zoom of 140mm doesn't have much. On the other hand the C-7xx series with its 380mm maximum zoom is a good camera for this. The following is a picture of a penny taken using +7 diopter (+4, +2, and +1 combined) so my maximum focusing distance is 1/7th of a meter or 14.3cm, I was 13cm away when taking this shot, and I zoomed in to 300mm (sorry but I don't have one that's not zoomed in):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...up/uspenny.jpg

Raynox has some macro lenses (DCR-150, DCR-250, MSN-200) that they have tested with the C-8080, and they show samples with and without the lens on the camera (with the C-8080 there's a vignetting issue):
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...80wz/index.htm

Hope that's been of some help.

p.s. Maybe adding a teleconverter like the Raynox DCR-2020Pro 2.2x turning the C-8080 into a 280mm might make things better in terms of magnification, but that's an awful lot of glass.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:07 PM   #3

I use an Olympus MCON-35 macro lens. It was designed for their E system cameras, but works wonders on my 8080. Even though they aren't made anymore you can still find them on eBay or Amazon. You'll get better macro shots using a true macro lens instead of a "close-up" lens.

I have some macro shots on my pbase gallery. www.pbase.com/gijeff

:|
JeffJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 5:37 PM   #4

Mike:

I tried to edit the previous post but no matter what I did text would not appear. I suspect the fact that I typed it up in Word with a black font caused a board hic-up. Thanks for the information concerning MCON's, diopter and how a camera's zoom or inthe case of the 8080lack of one effects a macro lens. I took a look Raynox website you provided and while they didn't quote any prices it appears to be a very expensive option.

Jeff:

Your option intrigues me. I did someresearch on the MCON-35 and think I amreading the specs correctly. It's a 62mm mount thread so all I would need to do is get a 58mm-to-62mm step up ring correct? Thanks for sharing your albums you have some impressive pictures!

Best regards,

William
WBanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:07 PM   #5

I'm glad you liked my photos. And yes, all you need is a step-down ring. Its a great little macro lens.

Jeff

JeffJeff is offline   Reply With Quote