Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:45 AM   #1

Can anyone venture a quess why there are so many refurbished c-5060 available. Could there be a problem !
mrgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:19 PM   #2

A "refurbished" camera doesn't necessarily mean one had a problem...it could be that it was tried out by a customer and they didn't like it (or maybe decided to go for the C-8080WZ instead), and returned it to the store. It then has to go back to Olympus and be "refurbished".

Other stores might call this "open box" meaning it has been opened and tried.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:52 PM   #3

Further investigation showed a frequent problem with the selection dial. Even after a repair it showed uo again.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:41 AM   #4

I was looking for a place to post this, and this looks as good as any.....Ijust purchased a very slightly used refurbished c-5060 and haven't been real impressed with its performance, at least in the total auto point and shoot mode. The only digital camera I ever owned before this was a HP 318 photosmart. And right now, the 318 takes better pics then the c-5060! I bought the c-5060 because of the great reviews.I wanted to step up into something I could grow into; I play in a band and wanted wide photo's to take on stage; and it's suppose to do well in low light......something the 318 can't handle at all. I made sure the default to factory auto setting was reset, and let the camera do the rest in point and shoot, and the result looks like an old one megapixal camera I had!.....not a five!.....I'm worried I may have got a bad one......Is there someway to test a camera yourself to see if it has a problem?.....Maybe this camera doesn't do well in total auto point and shoot? The camera and all the accessorieswere in new ormint condition when I got it.....only shot a half a dozen times because the original purchaser felt the learning curve was to great......Everything seems to function perfectly, yet the pics are washed out from the flash, or the resolution appears lame.......what to do!!!!!?????
ShadowKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:13 PM   #5

It sounds like you might need more experience with the camera as this type of problem has not surfaced. But further investigation found this site which proves to me why there are so many refurbished cames available from sony.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5060-dial.html
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:32 PM   #6

Oh!!.......I totally agree and know I need experience with this camera....it's just that this camera is suppose to do real well right out of the box, and it doesn't....at least not right now!.......so, I'm hoping, because of my inexperience there is something I need to check out before I go further.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:58 AM   #7

Am I right in thinking you are using the camera indoors without flash? The camera is a very good one but it isn't really built for that you know. I have spent many a happy hour with my 5060 and indoors or out it has proved very versatile, but you will have a yellow cast on all indoor photos without flash. The lens isn't up to it unfortunately. Even with my D70 and the 17/55 F2.8 it is tough enough, let alone with a prosumer camera. I don't think you could have done better buying anything else frankly.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:48 PM   #8

I'm trying it inside and out......full auto, so when the camera senses it needs flash, it does......the strangest thing, though, I tried different software other then camedia to view my pictures on computer, and they look great!....don't understand that....I didn't much care for the software that came with the camera anyway....no email portal, etc., But I couldn't imagine that it would affect the value of the photography! Anyone else have that problem?.....anyway I'm learning to take the training wheels off, and trying things manually.......does having the pro version they desperately want you to buy make a difference?.....Now I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with this camera.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:06 PM   #9

I have owned my C5060 for almost a year now, since the first few weeks it came out. I've never had any of the problems often discussed maybe due to some luck or the fact that I immediately realized that this camera has so much flexibility and has a rather high learning curve. (ans I still haven't learned all of it) A couple of things I often do when in Program mode is adjust the exposure (top left side above the flash control) and the flash, usually just on or off. These may not solve all your concerns but these two items really affect my outcome. I also suggest bracketing, that is take several shots using slightly different settings, such as, one with flash, another without. Another is to take several using different exposure settings, one at 0, another at -.3, another at -.7, etc. You can get a general idea whats happening with the quick review button and software usually allows brightness and contrast adjustment. I stopped using the Camedia software almost immediately. While Photoshop Elements seems the most popular, I just havent taken the time to learn it yet. I found Microsoft Digital Image Pro with a good rebate and have been quite happy with it. You can check out some of my C5060 work at RGR Digital Services

Good luck and keep at it....that camera is a gem...
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:19 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice.....RGRotts......I'll try that next. I researched long and hard before deciding on this particular camera.....it was really more than I wanted to spend.....but for what I wanted the camera to do, this one was what kept coming up on the radar screen. It seems that right after I got it, Iread some real horror stories on the netabout this camera, and I guess I just got carried away thinking I may have got a dud. By the way......nice pics and site you have!