Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:37 AM   #1

Default Help! Macro with c-720

I just got my Olympus c-720 today! I'm very excited about it, but it will take some time getting used to. The main type of pictures I take are macro (lots of flowers, bugs, etc..), but I can't seem to get as close to things as I could with my little sony dsc s30. I tried putting it on p/a/s/m and placing it on macro but that's no good. So my questions are, am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret button I have to push? is there a macro lens for the c720 or c700?

Help!

~Jessa
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:16 PM   #2
lg

Default Re: Help! Macro with c-720

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflysdragon
...I tried putting it on p/a/s/m and placing it on macro but that's no good. So my questions are, am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret button I have to push? is there a macro lens for the c720 or c700?

Help!

~Jessa
First, are you pressing the macro button until the flower icon appears in the viewfinder? If you are, then recognize that you should retract the lens fully to get as close as possible to your subject. In macro mode, you won't be able to focus if your zoom is extended too far. Shooting in automatic is fine... If this doesn't help, please let us know.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 1:01 PM   #3

Oh sorry, I should have explained all that, but it was really late.

I did try all that with no luck.

Thanks for replying though!
~Jessa
Old Oct 16, 2002, 5:27 AM   #4

I believe the macro distance for the C700/C720 is 4 inches...if you want to get closer than that you can get macro-converters (usually come in a set of three, +1 +2 +4 which can be used singly or in any combination). To use the macro-converter, or any other lens or filter you'll have to get a filter adapter tube (either Oly original CLA-4 45.6mm to 55mm, or a clone tube 45.6mm to 52mm).

I always keep a CLA-4 and a skylight filter on the camera at all times to protect it (unless I use the built-in flash due to it casting a shadow).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 3:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the information Mike,
I will deffinetly have to buy one of those!

~Jessa
Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:50 PM   #6

Mike_PEAT :

shadow with the adapter ?
do u have any pic of that so I can see it ?

thanks
Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 5:30 AM   #7

I have a sample posted in the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group (where all C700/720/730 users should hang out). We just discussed this issue two days ago. I can't direct link to the file there, so you'll just have to join our group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

Once you're a member there, you can access the following file:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-.../flashshad.jpg

In that you can see the obvious shadow in the lower-left corner of the picture (you don't see it or think about it until after you've taken the picture). For indoor closeup flash you have to remember to take off the tube.

The tube though is a necessary evil if you want to use filters/lenses. I leave mine on all the time because it protects the main lens from dings and dust (have read a few stories recently of people getting their lens jammed due to a minor bump). If I had an FL-40 external flash I'd probably leave the tube on all the time (you wouldn't get a shadow with that). Some have recommended getting a clone tube instead because it's 52mm instead of 55mm, but the difference in radius of 1.5mm doesn't make much of a difference in terms of the shadow.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote