Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:20 AM   #11

"The C-755 is the same camera as the C-750."

Close, but no cigar, at least not in the C-755's original incarnation. The C-755 was originally issued back in October, 2003 as a special-edition model celebrating the production of 1 million of the C-750 model. The C-755 was issued both in silver and a limited-edition black finish, but SFAIK, these models weren't marketed anywhere but in Japan, for the simple reason that the menus were in Japanese only (the single-language design is supported by Olympus' own website, where it notes that the C-755 menu is in J, while the other models of the series were 4-language selectable).

The cameras are not identical in other ways, as well. The differences are minor, but include Pictbridge support, and the addition of a 14x optical super zoom function (when resolution is set for 2.0 megapixels), and a few other even more minor details.
The business about no battery charger is a red herring, since all the models used non-rechargeable LB-01 (CR-V3) batteries and never had a charger (although rechargeable CR-V3 batteries are available now).

In sum, if Costco is now selling a C-755 model, it is not the same as the original limited edition C-755 sold in Japan.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:29 AM   #12

I am just going by what was told to me by Olympus
Quote:
The C-755 is the same camera as the C-750. The only difference is that the C-755 does not come with a remote control and the C-750 does come with the remote control. The C-755 can only be found at Costco locations.

anyway I love the camera
MistyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:19 PM   #13

>>I am just going by what was told to me by Olympus

I'm not doubting what Olympus (U.S.) told you--in fact, the clear problem is that we're talking across national market boundaries. The simple matter is, the C-755 sold by Costco in the U.S. may be the same as the C-750 sold in the U.S., but it is not the same as the C-755 (or C-750) sold in Japan. In any event, the current prices are pretty good for either of the cameras, since a number of new models in the 5-7 Mpixel range are now hitting the shelves, so they're clearing out the older ones.

I will remark in passing that I bought my C-755 (J version) as a compromise: I wanted something I could put in my pocket while also having full manual controls, SLR viewing, and a big zoom. The drawbacks include:
1. Long shutter lag, especially with flash. It's so long, in fact, that it's impossible to capture quickly-changing expressions at a party, for example (used with either internal or external Olympus flash as well).
2. The electronic SLR viewfinder is not nearly so clear as an optical viewfinder (to be expected).
3. Because of the electronic viewfinder, the manual focus is virtually useless when any attempt is made to match focus with the center enlarged focusing screen; the only way I get any use from it at all is by using the "guestimate" distance numbers shown on the screen.

If you take these things into account, it does take great pictures. It's small enough I can remove the lens filter barrel and place it in my jacket pocket when walking in the mountains, and the 10x zoom is quite useful, especially when using the external Olympus flash, since the flash zooms in sync with the lens. That makes for good closeups -- so long as you can magically catch the right instant with that dang shutter lag :sad:
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:26 AM   #14

"The business about no battery charger is a red herring, since all the models used non-rechargeable LB-01 (CR-V3) batteries and never had a charger (although rechargeable CR-V3 batteries are available now)."

Norm, the North American C-750 in fact came packaged with a battery charger and 4 rechargeable AA batteries, as well as two non-rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. As far as I know, all models of the C-750/C-755, as well as the C-740 can use either CR-V3 batteries, or AA batteries.

As well, as far as I know, the C-755 from Outpost comes with a fully functional English menu as the default, and is a very legitimate Olympus camera.

So, when Olympus U.S.A. said that the C-755 is identical to the C-750, they were entirely correct.

It would be beneficial to remember that many of the posters on these message boards live in North America. When you post information which contradicts the information on these boards, it would be good for you to specify right off the batthat you are speaking from experiencein the Japanese market exclusively.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:05 AM   #15

EOS RT wrote:
Quote:
Norm, the North American C-750 in fact came packaged with a battery charger and 4 rechargeable AA batteries, as well as two non-rechargeable CR-V3 batteries. As far as I know, all models of the C-750/C-755, as well as the C-740 can use either CR-V3 batteries, or AA batteries.

I'm fine with all you say, and am glad to admit I was wrong about the charger in particular. I originally spoke up because someone asked me about changing the Japanese menus to English, and I was afraid they might think the cameras for the two markets were the same, when they're indeed not--not just in terms of the menus, but certain other features as well. Caveat emptor.