Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1

I have a D550 Zoom, which I lost or was stolen (shame on me). I borrowed my sister's D560Z, which she used very little after getting the Minolta with the 10X optical zoon (great camera!) She had never taken any pictures off of her 128Mb xD card (smart girl for getting a big card!) so I put them on my computer and will put them on a CD for her. The controls on this camera are very similar to the controls on my D550Z, so imagine my surprize when I tried to erase all the pics off the card and found only the option to format. This is under:

Mode menu--Card--Card setup--Format

There is no second option for "all erase" like there is on my camera. When I checked the D560 manual it said there should be this second option.

My question is: Is this a firmware issue that can be resolved via a download from Olympus? My sister has had this camera for over a year and I'm sure it's out of warranty

This is a small issue, because formatting will do the same thing as the all erase, but I just thought I'd try to save a little wear and tear on the camera and the card.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
FalvinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:04 PM   #2

I have a 520.
On that camera, if you are in the picture taking mode, you only have the Format option. If you are in the picture viewing mode, you have both Erase All and Format options.

In the 520, you can get into the picture viewing mode in either of two ways:

1. Close the lens cover, and have the camera shut off. Push the quick view button -> |O|

2. With the lens cover open and in the picture taking mode, push the quick view button twice in rapid succession.

your mileage may vary, Some settling may occur in transit. Void where prohibited.

segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:41 PM   #3
Administrator

FalvinP wrote:
Quote:
This is a small issue, because formatting will do the same thing as the all erase, but I just thought I'd try to save a little wear and tear on the camera and the card.
Wear and tear on the camera and the card?

I always use a camerato format a card before each use (and always have). I never use the erase functions (from either the PC or the Camera).

My reasoning is that formatting the card in the camera before each use is usually just as fast as erasing, and insures that I start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table). Also, even a format does not *really* overwrite the whole card with most models, it's simply creating a new FAT.

See the post from segbertonaccess to the erase menu (probably available in record mode only).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:11 PM   #4

I agree with Jim, I've been using format instead of all erase for over two years, and I've never lost a picture, unlike others who have used other techniques and have lost pictures.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote