Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1
jq

I posted this question a long time ago and never really got an anwser. Oly says they will get back to me, but haven't. I have an Oly F-280 TTL flash which I got with my Oly OM-4T several years ago. I am trying to figure out whether I can use this on my C-750 or not. The only comments I have heard concerntrigger voltage, which I can't seem to find for this flash. It is not listed in specs or online under specs?

Ialso have aVivatar Auto 2500 TTL flash which I was also wondering about. I hate to buy another flash for the digital if something I have will get the job done. I would also like as many auto settings to work as possible, which is why I am not asking about using my Nikon flash. Any help out there?
jq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 3:12 AM   #2

Do NOT use a dedicated flash that was made for some other model camera. The physical locations of the extra pins may be the same, but what they are used for is not standardized. It either will not work properly, or may damage the flash, or camera, or both.

I would expect that dedicated pre-digital Olympus flashes would not work either. Promaster flashes have different modules for older film and newer digital cameras from the same manufacturer. I have examined the hot shoe pins on my C-755 with my oscilloscope, and it appears to me that at least one of them has serial digital data on it when the shutter release is half pressed.

As for dedicated flashes, the Olympus FL-20 and FL-40 will definitely work, but I believe I have heard there is some difficulty with the FL-50 on the C-7xx series. Also the Promaster 5550DX and 5750DX will work, with the appropriate dedicated module. Metz also has some models that will work, also with a module, but I don't know much about these. I personally have a Promaster 5750. My only complaint is the focus assist light is fairly useless on C-7xx cameras.

Non-dedicated flashes will work, but only in the A or M modes, because with a non dedicated flash you must set a specific F-stop, and these are the only modes that will allow you to do this. The camera simply will not fire a non-dedicatd external flash in any other mode.

Sync voltage is very important when using 3rd party strobes. It is best to measure the actual candidate flash. My actual measured voltage on two different models that I have turned out to be different than is posted in lists found on the net. Measurement instructions can be found here: http://botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:03 AM   #3

That's exactly it.

Even the Olympus G-40 flash (which is a flash for the Olympus IS series of cameras and easily mistaken for the Olympus FL-40) can't be used on digitals.

It's not only a case of different pin locations and assignments, but a different TTL "language".
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:23 PM   #4
jq

Thank you Segbert and Mike. I guess if I want more flash power I will have to buy a new one. I wonder why Olympus is unable to reply to the same question as they said they would about a month ago?
jq is offline   Reply With Quote