Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:44 AM   #1

Default Downloading into Paint Shop Pro 7

I have a C-2100uz coming and I am wondering if I will be able to download directly into Paint Shop Pro. Is anyone using PSP in this way? If so how are you doing it?

For a very long time now I have used a Kodak DC120 in this way and would like to continue with the C-2100. The DC120 is supported by PSP, but it looks like the C-2100 is not.

Thanks to all who reply, ...Bill
billfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2002, 7:38 PM   #2

I'm not sure, but the way I do it with my c-720 is I plug the camera into my computer, open up the removable drive letter, and copy the pictures from there into their own folders on my hard drive. After they're downloaded I can browse through them and edit them in PSP.

Hope this helped,
~Jessa
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 9:17 PM   #3

No, the 2100 is different...you need Camedia to get the photos off it (I've been told). They improved that on the C700 so it appears as a drive.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:33 AM   #4

ah, I see... ops:
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:46 AM   #5
lg

Default Get a card reader...

Life's a lot simpler with your UZI if you invest in a SmartMedia card reader. While your camera has USB support, it only works with the Camedia software, which I only use for doing panoramas. Upgrade your software on the Olympus site if you are using XP... the version 2.0 supplied locks up. I've got v2.5 and it works fine.

Back to the card reader... I'd recommend getting one that will read most of the popular formats. I have a Kodak card reader at home that will do CF, SM, SD, MM formats. Leave it plugged into your computer, put in the SmartMedia Card, and a wizard comes up automatically to guide you through the process...it's easy as pie!
Taking out the card and using a reader means you won't need to leave your camera on while transferring pictures, saving your batteries...food for thought!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:02 PM   #6

Thanks to those who replyed to my original post. I guess I should have stated the reason that I wanted to download directly into PSP in the first post. With my present camera I download directly into PSP and save the images as "psp's". Files saved this way are compressed but do not loose any information when uncompressed. That way I get around the loss incured with downloading a jpg file and then saving as a psp file. The loss this way isn't much, but I like my originals to be as pristine as possible. However if that isn't possible I will find a way to live with it.

My website is at, http://fp2.centurytel.net/billfire/

Photo's section of site at, http://fp2.centurytel.net/billfire/photos.htm

Thanks again, ...Bill
billfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:57 PM   #7

Whether you download to your computer first and then into PS, or download directly into PS won't make ANY difference to the compression...it's the same digital information.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 9:57 AM   #8

Quote:
With my present camera I download directly into PSP and save the images as "psp's". Files saved this way are compressed but do not loose any information when uncompressed. That way I get around the loss incured with downloading a jpg file and then saving as a psp file.
Doing that will not yield an improvement over simply saving the images exactly as they come from the camera. Whatever damage JPEG compression does, it has already been done. Converting to PSP (or any other format) will not undo the damage. Downloading (copying) a jpg does not incur a loss - loading and saving does.

In addition, it is likely that you are loosing all or part of your EXIF data by converting.

Always save your original images exactly as they come from the camera with no editing, format change, rotation, or any other change whatsoever! Those are your digital negatives - don't mess with them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:01 AM   #9

Using a used c2100 i didnt get proper software or amnuals

I got utility c-5.11 from the olympus site but it wont connect.. what should I have the camera set to?

The olympus website wont let me download camedia 2.0 when i enter c2100 as my camera.. it only lets me download the utility

I ahve a card reader on my computer and that works perfect but want to access direct to laptop when out. win98se

If i need camedia 2.0 then where from as olympus list but wont let me download.. and what seetings does camera have to be at

As usual many thanks in advance
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:50 AM   #10

Found it now.. apologies.. false alarm.. was on a CD .. Memory failing me
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote