Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:20 AM   #1

Default MACRO Help/Advice/Pointers/resources required

I currently use my Oly c2100uz for sports pictues but thats just saturdays

Would also like to get into the world of Macro/Close up photography. insects or whatevers living

I have tried the macro on the camera but it wont focus at full zoom..

Was thinking of getting a set of close up lenses (+1 +2 +3 +4) Going to cost about 40 quid.. 70+ USdollars?

Anyone into Macro and can point me in the right direction..

Fanx
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:30 AM   #2

I'm not that much into macro. But you can watch a couple of pics at the address down under here. Shooting some af them I have used a homemade filteratatchment with a enlargementglass in front of my Coolpix5700 and cp5000.

If your'e looking for a real cheap solution the close-up filters can give you a fair result. Not a really great one! But it also depends on you camera.

The best solution is to skip your digicam and go for the old stuff with i.e Nikon micro-lenses. But that's not a cheap solution right!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:38 AM   #3

Nice pics. Butterly is good and the My Eye is novel

Hmm close up lenses not brillint solution you say?

I guess I better find out if theres a good actual close up lens for my uzi.

Fanx
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:52 AM   #4

You don't need the +3 if you get the +1, +2, +4 set...you can stack them giving you any number from +1 to +7 (although not as good as one on it's own), a set like this:

http://www.camerastore.com/dl_cat_A/-A12_closeup.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:59 AM   #5

Go to www.2filter.com. They have some telephoto lens that might suit your needs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:08 AM   #6

Just found MCON-40 for 55.23 UK Pounds at digtal depot. With VAT and Delivery thats gonna be just under 70 pounds sterling.

seems like a good deal. what do you think ?
Old Oct 22, 2002, 2:54 PM   #7
lg

Default Re: MACRO Help/Advice/Pointers/resources required

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
I have tried the macro on the camera but it wont focus at full zoom..
Not to ignore all the fine advice in the earlier posts, buy why do you need to focus at full zoom in macro mode? You can move the lens as close as 1" from your subject and take razor sharp photos...I always set the zoom to full wide for macros.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 2:57 PM   #8

You should have figured it out by now ..

i have absoloutly no idea what I am doing

I just presumed you need to zoom.. I havent actualy gotten into it yet.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 4:17 AM   #9

Hello Tony, unlike lg I nearly always take my macros at full zoom. My subjects are usually insects etc that are easily spooked if you poke a lens right up to them. In those cases the further away you can be the better! Also, when you get too close the front end of the lens masks the built-in flash - this is where you need to consider investing in external flash.

While the ordinary close-up lenses are ok to start with, once you start stacking them image quality will decline. You will get better results if you watch out for the (more expensive) achromatic close-up lenses. To see a good guide to some of the achromatic lenses that are out there have a look at

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

I use a combination of an Olympus A-macro lens (with a 49mm thread) and a couple of Sigma Achromatic Macro Lenses (not mentioned on the site) for most of the macro shots in my garden wildlife diaries. These lenses I picked up s/h locally - the Sigma lenses have a 52mm thread so step-up/down rings are needed. If you look in the 'Close-ups' section of the forum you can see a leaf-cutter bee picture taken with a combination of these lenses.

The MCON-40 will be good lens but unlike the A-Macro it has a 55mm thread, so if you go for it you will also need to get a 49-55mm step-up ring. As far as the cost is concerned- that is a personal decision, but I bought the three lenses mentioned about for less that the price of the MCON-40. I make it a rule that whenever I pass a different camera shop I pop in and ask about s/h close-up lenses and Olympus add-ons. They are sometimes hidden away in a drawer, and when I bought my A-200 it was suggested that 'nobody wants things like this any more' - I did!

Olympus also made an A-Lifesize Macro lens with a 49mm thread, although I haven't come across one of these yet.

Once you get hooked into looking closer, it will be time to experiment. I often resort to using enlarger lenses mounted to the UZI using an adaptor ring made from a couple of Cokin filter mounting rings superglued back to back.

David

Garden Wildlife Diaries at
www.mybitoftheplanet.com
david@mybitoftheplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 7:33 AM   #10

Hi.. David

I was thinking of insects as I have seen some fantastic photos and out of all galleries the macro photos of insects have attracted my attention most.. So I decided why not

I cant really experiment until weekend because of work so I am trying to gather as much info before then.

OK so the close up lenses might not be the ideal choice then.. I do have a B300 is that any use full zoom and macro ?

I have the stepup-ring to 55 and notice on your site in the technical section you state you keep yours on to save wear and tear on the uzi 49mm thread.... good thinking If I do go for close up lenses (price may force me) then should I go for 55 rather than 49?

Decisions decisions I certainly aint confident enough to do what you ahve with your uzi ..looks frightning from the pictures on your site