Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:41 AM   #1

Expecting year-end bonus this week and contemplating upgrading from my C-750. I've been very happy with the C-750 considering its limitations, but I want to get past those limitations - namelypoor low-light AF performance and sluggish overallperformance. (I do love the color, WB, sharpness andfull features, though). I've read lots of reviews of the C-8080 and fiddled with one today. Was surpised to get blurry pics inside the camera store despite decent lighting and the dual AF system. Despite luminous landscape's review to the contrary, I found the design very ergonomic - loved the feel of the camera in my hand. Was also surprised by how large the objective is - biggest glass I've seen on a non-dSLR to date. But I have nagging doubts about spending $800 + for a camera w/ a 2/3 type sensor. (I'd kind of like to see a 6Mp version of the C-8080, which should offer lower noise). I'd welcome comments and suggestions from C-8080 owners about performance in low-light conditions. FYI, I'm aware of slow sequential speed, write times for TIFF and RAW files, etc.

For the price I have to consider the Nikon D-70. I want a portable camera but I suppose I could shoehorn a D-70 with a 28-70mm lens (which I think would be the most flexible lens) into my Lowepro TLZ Mini. Was also looking at theE-1,which has dropped in price to $1200 (body only) and I'm told delivers nearly equivalent resolution to the D-70 b/c the E-1 uses a full-frame transfer CCD.

I'm kind of at a loss - part of me says dSLR, stupid,particularlyw/ the lower noise andfaster performance, but another partreminds myself that good lenses cost $, that I don't takephotosfor a living, that I'mattracted to a"one-camera solution,"and that I'll probably missmiss one option not offered bydSLR's -video.

I'm soul-searching, and would really appreciate hearing from those of youwho have gone through this - regardless of whether you opted for a dSLR or not.

By way of apology - for what it's worth- I posted here because Ifavor Olympus...

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:40 AM   #2
Administrator

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
For the price I have to consider the Nikon D-70. I want a portable camera but I suppose I could shoehorn a D-70 with a 28-70mm lens (which I think would be the most flexible lens) into my Lowepro TLZ Mini. Was also looking at theE-1,which has dropped in price to $1200 (body only) and I'm told delivers nearly equivalent resolution to the D-70 b/c the E-1 uses a full-frame transfer CCD.

When looking at DSLR models, don't forget about the crop factor (a.k.a., Focal Length Multiplier) when comparing lenses.

Because the sensor in the D70 is smaller than 35mm film, it only uses the center portion of the image circle. So, you have a "crop factor" for lenses. This factor is 1.5x on a D70. So, a 28-70mm lens on a D70 would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 42-105mm.

Other models have different crop factors. For example, the Olympus E-1 has a 2x crop factor (multiple the actual focal length of the lens by 2 to get the 35mm equivalent focal length).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:27 PM   #3

I'm aware of the magnification factor (2x on the E-1, correct?) but I appreciate the reminder. Yes, I'd need 18mm or so at the wide angle to geta 35mm equiv. of 28mm.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:59 AM   #4

Once you have had an SLR you won't go back to a point-and-press I assure you. The quality and control features will, once you are accustomed, show you what you have been missing, most importantly instant shutter response. The D70 is a very good choice, but instead of the "kit" lens or the 28/70 why not think of perhaps a 2nd hand 24/120 from a reputable shop? This is of course 36/180 in digital terms and is perfectly acceptable in my book - and don't worry about buying the new version either, I have had a 24/120 for years for my F90X and it works fine with the D70 and as a plus has proved tough as old boots. I know there were some quality issues at the launch of the new model too.If you do decide to go the SLR route, then I would advise Nikon as opposed to Olympus for one reason - just look at the range of lenses and accessories available if you do get hooked and want more from the camera.

I have the 5060 and tried the 8080 and both are superb cameras, better than most on the market today (although I obviously haven't tried them all!) but I prefer the 5060 for size and the screen protection. I have blown up photos to A4 with no problem. Best of luck.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:33 PM   #5

spend the christmas bonus on an SLR, perhaps the E-300 would get you started, i believe it will include a lens, although not the higest quality lens available, but then next year you can spend the bonus on a better ZUIKO lens to fit your camera. I purchased a C2100 only a year ago and soon realized it was a mistake not to buy SLR, I now shoot an E1 with 50-200mm and just purchased the 300mm telephoto, the flexibility will enhabce your enjoyment of photography, if not now later for sure.

hope this helps
pongop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:35 PM   #6

Oh by the way, please don't compare the E1 to a D70, if you would hold and shoot with both, you will see my point, the E1 is a pro camera in every way, the D70 is just cheap Nikon.
pongop is offline   Reply With Quote