Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:50 AM   #1

Lots of good news about the new model cameras and here I am still kind of in the dark ages using my old C-2100 and B300 1.7X tele converter... Thinking of moving up too newer model sometime soon...... What's the best replacement for the 2100 ??
Attached Images

Keith Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:45 AM   #2

Added November 25, 2004:

My apologies for the original reply (below). I wasn't thinking when I read your post. I had C2000 on the brain and didn't realize until later that you were referring to a C2100UZ, which is obviously and entirely different animal than a C2000! I promise to read more thoroughly in the future!

Cheers,

Kevin

I'd still be using my C2000 if it wasn't for an unfortunate incident - the camera fell to the ground landing directly on the lens which was extended fully at the time. A sad, sad day, because I purchased that camera back in 1999 when it was introduced. I'd grown quite attached to it!

I've since purchased a refurbished C4000 and am very happy. The ability to use my C2000 accessories was a big plus, as was the design, which is very similar to the C2000. Image quality is excellent.

You can get "refurbiushed" C4000's at very good prices right now. I'm quite happy with mine!

Cheers!

Kevin

Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:14 PM   #3

All your 2100 uz needs is:

A"retrofit" of CCD with 8 megapixels and conversion to Compact Flash as media.

Anybody brave enough???

Hang on to it...except for the Panasonic Fz20 (and possibly the Nikon 8800) nothing compares to it.

I borrowed a c2100uz to shoot a football game last weekend. It worked great!

I was 65 rows up yet able to bring it lots of great pics.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:57 PM   #4

I have given some thought too the Nikon 8800 for a replacement.... Could someone tell me what kind, brand, or whatever adapter would be needed too be able too use my B300 1.7X teleconverter (55MM threads) on the 8800 camera???? Thanks in advance for any assistance......
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:35 PM   #5

Hi Keith,

Threads are supposedly "nonstandard"...something like 52.5 to 53???

Others on this forum with the 8800 report that 52mm will fit but will not completely thread on the lens.

There are currently no 52.5-53 to 55 step up rings to accomodate your 55mm B300.

Supposedly there is supposed to be an adapter ring that you can put on the 8800 but info on this ring is nonexistent, inc nikonusa.com.

Interesting...

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:06 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the prompt reply..
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:24 AM   #7

Keith, Great Picture!

I'm in the same boat as you. My local camera shop produced an 8800 and Power Shot Pro-1 when I asked for a replacement. (Looking at the size of the lenses, I wonder if the WCON .7 would Vignette)

There are a few burnt out pixels, but until it dies, I'm going to stick with it. DSLRs are more getting more competitive, and I thought in a couple years they'd be irresistible.

If you take the replacement plunge, please let us know how it compares!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 3:00 PM   #8

My "old" 2100UZ is still going strong too. Despite it's modest (by current standards anyway…) 2 meg resolution, I have yet to find another digicam in the price range that produces comparable quality images. I've used a couple 4 meg, 10x zoom cameras (Kodak 7490 and Oly C750) but found them unable to record the quality of images my 2100 consistently produces….and especially so when hand-held in poor light.

I've also found the UZ to be extremely robust. Mine's recorded over 12,000 images, often under severe conditions of heat, cold, dust and wet (I carry it always while operating farm equipment, and often when skiing, hiking, biking, etc). Only problems I've had is the mode dial/power switch got knocked off once (I epoxied it back on and it's working fine), and it's occasional tendency to overexpose images under conditions of extreme (sub zero) cold. But I've used other cameras that won't even power up when they're that cold…

Anyway as long as my 2100 keeps on working I'm not gonna actively look for a replacement! ...FB

PS - Nice shot of the cardinal!!
FarmallBob is offline   Reply With Quote