Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:53 AM   #1

I find that when I take out my batteries to recharge them and put them back in, my camera has reset certain settings that cannot be saved in a MyMode setting, such as date/time and All Reset.

Since the batteries run out quickly, and I often "top them off" to make sure I don't lose them unexpectedly, this can be a big pain to reset these things every two - three days. Is there anyway to keep them between battery changes?

Thanks!!
lisigef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:21 AM   #2

lisigef wrote:
Quote:
I find that when I take out my batteries to recharge them and put them back in, my camera has reset certain settings
Most digicams will retain settings for a minute or two, probably using a capacitor for temporary power storage. The camera handbook may well tell how long you've got.

You need a spare set of batteries, if you haven't already got one, to usewhile you charge the other set. You ought to carry a spare fully-charged set anyway, so you don't miss the shot of a lifetime.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:03 PM   #3

That makes sense - I found when I charged the batteries today for a short time just to be able to upload my pictures to a computer, maybe an hour, the settings were still there. I'll try using keeping a spare set in when recharging! (Normally I charge evenings/overnight so I don't need the camera anyway).

Thanks for the advice!
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:14 PM   #4

I didn't see which camera you were talking about, but if it uses standard AA cells you might consider doing what I do.

I have an Oly C3020 that uses AA cells and employs an internal capacitor to keep the settings alive--but only for a minute or so. I keep a set of Alkaline (Duracell) bats to use in the camera while I'm recharging my normal NiMh cells. The Alkaline cells are great because of their long shelf life and are good at low drain situations--like holding the camera settings--but are [almost] ueless for operating the camera, hence the NiMh for normal use.

I also put the Alkaline bats in the camera if I know I'm not going to use the camera for a while [month or more] since the NiMh cells will self discharge in that length of time with a resulting loss of settings.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:01 AM   #5

I'm using the C-4000. I thought about doing something like that but was worried about all the posts that said Alkaline batteries don't last at all - is this not an issue for this situation, since the camera is off the whole time? How long can a set last, assuming they are being used once or twice a week for a few hours?

Thanks!