Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:09 PM   #1

Apologies, I wound up in this forum via linking and missed the actual "Flash" forum. Moderators, please move if you like.

I've got an Olympus C8080 coming my way.

I'm looking for recommendations for a flash that would be used for general indoors 'snapshot' quality use.

What I'd really like is a flash that has a 'low profile' (closer to camera body when mounted) for reasons of trying to reduce the likelihood it snaps the shoe off the camera if it gets banged around. The FL-30 looks too big as an example.

I don't need super sophisticated flash modes, just more power than the built-in to fill a room.

I know very little about using flash, I'd always stuck to available light work when I was last into photography years ago. So forgive my ignorance if the question/goal makes no sense.
kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:56 AM   #2

The tiny Olympus FL-20 is a very nice flash. I tried it on a C-5060 and the results were great!

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:39 PM   #3

I sort of answered my own questions with some more research and finally getting my new camera in hand.

The built in pop-up flash is an order of magnitude more powerful than I expected. It turns out that it will likely be all I need for my purposes. I had been used to the flash output (or lack of) with my Kodak DC4800. I never imagined the world of difference would be with the C8080...truly remarkable!

My concerns about the strength of the hot shoe were relieved as well. I simply didn't expect the solid build quality of the 8080.
kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:41 PM   #4

I wanted to bump this thread up since I am lookign for a external flash for my new c8080. I want the features of the FL-36 ( and price too) but it looks although Olympus says the FL-36 is built for it's didgicams (they mention the c8080, people say it doesn't support any of the features one would buy the flash for (zooming).

I'd like a bounce feature and FAL)

Anything out there better than the fl-20?

Does the FL-20 have a FAL?
mconheady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:56 AM   #5

Hi I also have the 8080 and I use the FL-40 for an external flash. It works like a champ; powerful and gives a good exposure. All the features work with the 8080,zooming, TTL,etc. I picked mine up on Ebay in a mint condition.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #6

is the FL-40 as large as I have heard. I haven't seen any pics of it on the c-8080, but I hear it's very large. any issues with it's size and the c8080?
mconheady is offline   Reply With Quote