Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:16 AM   #1

Default D-40 Zoom Date and Time Questions

How can you superimpose the date and time on a picture or pictures? For example, sometimes I want the date and time at the bottom of the picture. It is okay if once turned on it does it for all pictures until you turn it off again.

Is the date part of the JPG file name? For example, if the current date is 10/24/02, is the file name something like A02402xxx.jpg? Sometime, it appears this is the case, and sometimes it appears to be a random set of numbers.
ElGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:04 PM   #2

The only way I know of is to do it in a paint program (with text). The filename is includes the date (today it would be Pa24xxxx). The XXXX is the image counter (if you turned off the counter reset it will continue to increase with each picture you take, otherwise it will reset each time you insert the smartmedia card).

BTW, the information about the picture (shutter speed, aperture, etc.) is encoded within the picture, and that can be read by a program that reads "Exif" info. Note that some paint programs don't save the Exif info if you resave, so it's important to keep your original files intact (these are your "negatives).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:15 PM   #3

I don't know how you can automate this, but for individual pics, look at the 'Watermark' features in some editors e.g PhotoImpact 7
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 5:02 PM   #4

Mike,

why on todays date would it be pa24xxx? I surmise the 24 is the day of the month, but why the a? And is the year not included?
Old Oct 24, 2002, 5:30 PM   #5

I admit I'm using a C700 so it might be slightly different (but it shouldn't be)...I just took a picture now and it's Pa240489:

'a'=October, there's only one character for the month, so the hexidecimal numbering system is used, 123456789abcdef, so a=October, b=November, and c=December.

24=date

0489 is the picture number

If you want the year, you'll have to look at the Windows (Mac) file information. Another way is to look at the Exif information encoded in the picture with an Exif reader...not only does it show date and time information (down to the second that the picture was taken), but it also shows shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and lots more.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Very Helpful!