Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:33 AM   #1

Default About to buy Olympus 30x0 cam!

Hello everyone. I am about to buy my first digital camera. I am looking for one that I can get at a used or refurb. price for close to $300. I will probably be buying on ebay. 3 megapixels is not a necessity for me, but sure sounds nice. What I need is a good all around camera for indoor/outdoor and the ability to manipulate the shutter and aperture (I'm used to SLR). I am also very interested in doing some macro photography.

Do you guys think that an Olympus 3000-3040 would be a good choice?

I am willing to buy some extra lenses later in order to get a really good macro effect.
lckrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2002, 9:43 AM   #2

Olympus has the C3000 camera for $329. It comes with a Olympus 90 factory warranty. I still own my C3000 and it is a great camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 1:36 PM   #3

Spend a few extra bucks and get a new Olympus C-4000. You can get one from a reputable dealer online (be sure to read the dealer reviews at a place like pricegrabber.com first) for about $375 plus shipping. It's an excellent, full-featured 4 MP camera with great macro and supermacro abilities. Comes with full warranty, of course, and is well worth the extra $ for the increased performance. You won't regret the extra cost. (Don't buy one on ebay. The sellers of new cameras there conceal their higher prices by offeering cheap accessories at inflated prices in package deals.) Check out the reviews here and at imaging-resource.com.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:15 PM   #4

SanPete is correct about the C4000. Look also at www.dealtime.com and www.pricescan.com for camera prices. The C4000 has a great Macro capability. If you have a choice between the C3000 and the C3040, choose the C3040. The C3040 has better optics, but still the C3000 is a great camera
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:54 PM   #5

Default You can buy my c3020

I'm selling my c3020 on ebay to move up to the c730 or fuji s602(still can't decide). I love the c3020, the pics are really crisp and detailed, but i always long for a longer zoom. the c3020 has macro mode(it says 8 inches, but i find that to me inaccurate as i can get within about 4 inches and you can also zoom in macro mode), but not super macro like the c4000, i have yet to see a super macro from the c4000 that impresses me, anyway here's a link to some macro shots i've taken, they are all mixed up and a link to the auction if your interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1392561572

http://www.pbase.com/paulyoly

enjoy!
PaulyOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:11 PM   #6

One advantage of the C4000 series, other than the larger image size, is better ergonomics. I stepped up from a C3030 to a C4040 and the C4040 is much easier to operate. For that reason alone I would recommend it although the 3030 is still a very good camera.

When you're ready you can get excellent Raynox macro lenses from http://www.bugeyedigital.com/.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 12:38 AM   #7

Hey thanks for the help guys, I think I will still stick to the 3000 or 3040 b/c I really shouldn't even be spending over $300. Great shots Pauly!
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:51 AM   #8
lg

Default Consider a refurbished C-2100...

...there's a great following for this camera, and I don't know a single person that's had one that would give it up. Here's why I am recommending it:

3 megapixels is not a necessity for me... - 2.1 MP will do prints up to 8x10

one that I can get at a used or refurb. price for close to $300...; refurbs available on Ebay for around $350-- new ones include batteries, charger, and remote

a good all around camera for indoor/outdoor and the ability to manipulate the shutter and aperture... - auto, aperture, shutter, manual, 2 fps, 38-380 optical zoom that is digitally stabilized, fast f2.8-3.5 lens, EVF - Electronic View Finder = 100% viewfinder accuracy (even at full zoom), TTL flash metering...

I'm used to SLR... - this camera has the look and feel of a SLR; in fact, I bought it to replace my Contax 139 Quartz SLR

very interested in doing some macro photography... - has macro function and has threads for add-on lenses, including macro lenses

What you didn't mention is that you want a camera that will take sharp, clear pictures that are properly exposed virtually all the time-- and the C2100 does this as well.

Well, this is just another user's opinion, but whatever you get, I'd recommend you research it until you are satisfied that you won't be disappointed when you get your camera. You might want to compare the quality of the pics from Steve's reviews for the cameras you are considering. I hope this helps!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:46 AM   #9

Default C-2100

Yeah well I'm going to wait until Christmas time to get the camera so I just might get that C-2100. It seems like everyone wants to recommend it! I read somewhere else that it has a cult-like following. I guess it just depends on how much cash I want to dish out. Thanks again people!