Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 26, 2002, 8:54 AM   #1
jww

Default c-4000Z VS C-730uz

I am getting closer and closer to actually picking up a digicam. I am leaning towards the Oly line (much to the chagrin of each sales rep that tries to sway me towards a Canon S30/40 or a Nikon 4300 or 4500). I am looking long and seriously at either the 4000 or the new 730. I am concerned about the CA issues with the longer zoom on the 730, but like the longer zoom capabilities. I also worry about the evf and low-light picture taking.

I particularly like the larger MP size and plethura of features on the 4000.

Neither camer has an AF illuminator, and being new to digicams, I have no idea what the really means in terms of actually taking shots.

I have had both in my hands, and have played in stores, but that experience with a sales rep breathing down your neck isn't the most ideal way of checking things out.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used both of these cameras. I have carefully read through all the reviews on the mainstream review sites and am having a really hard time narrowing things down.

Thanks. ...jww :lol:
jww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:00 PM   #2

JWW- I am also looking at the 730uz and comparing it to the 3040 and 4000. I am drifting towards the 730 because of the 10x zoom and the fact that it's new and a third generation of the 700 series. They have probably updated any problems that were in the previous models. Unfortunately, being new, the retailers are asking the top price for it! About $600.00 here in the L.A. area.
I will keep watching your post for any "hands on" information someone might post! Thanks, Bob
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:12 PM   #3

Check out this price.

http://www.bilibi.com/shop/Product.a...000&Sku=C730UZ
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:24 PM   #4

I haven't handled either yet, so I'm a totally unbiased expert! I've read from C-4000 users that it has good low light focus abilities even without the focus assist light. Both cameras also have manual focus with distance scales, so you can set up in the dark if you have some idea how far away your subject is. That takes more time than using a cam with the assist light, of course, but it's doable. Since the 730's EVF doesn't work in the dark, you might also have to guess about framing your shot (not such a problem with the 4000's optical viewfinder).

From what I've seen in the way of sample shots, neither camera has terrible CA problems. The CA is a little above average for the 4000 but usually not visible, and it's remarkably well controlled for the 730, given the long zoom. (Compare the sample shots here from the HP 850, which have very noticeable color fringing--mostly green--in high contrast areas.) I think the bigger problem with the 730 is noise--have a look at Steve's sample of the man at the desk, for example. Noise is quite noticeable in the bookshelf wood and the forearm, among other places. But in most shots the noise won't be a problem unless you're trying to view or print at maximum size.

Tough choice, but I'm just about ready to order the C-730. Just figure that the longer zoom will more than make up for the loss in image quality at high res for most uses.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox
Great price but DON'T buy anything from bilibi. They have terrible reviews. Check out the prices and reseller ratings at places like pricegrabber.com (keeping in mind that some stores solicit reviews, so you have to read more than just a few to get the full story). You can get a C-730 from a decent source for under $500 shipping included. I'm leaning towards buydig. The C-4000 is almost $100 cheaper.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:34 PM   #6

I talked with bilibi.com when I was looking for my C4040. It was only available if wanted to purchase accessories or an extended warranty. They wanted $150 for 128mb smart media card. You can puchase for about $50.

If you plan to purchase the C730Z should have a need for the powerful zoom (10X). New cameras get the highest price. The C4000 will suit you better if you wish to shoot macro, it has a super macro mode. Choosing either camera will more than likely meet your needs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 12:17 AM   #7

I've not tried the 730 , but I own the C-4000. You might want to check the recent thread 'C-4000 problems'.
As far as low-light focussing goes, it does not do a good job, I get blurry pics...
If you want the camera mostly for 'close-up shots and portraits, then it is excellent.
If you will be doing a lot of 'nature shots' and landscapes, this camera just doesn't handle them very well, compared to the Oly D-490 that I own. The autofocus just doesn't produce sharp, clear photos with great definition...I tried another C-4000 and got similar results. If you do buy a C-4000 and get spectacular results on landscape shots, please post your pics and the camera settings you used.
I will say that the C-4000 does have a lot of tweaking perks available!
You can check out some of my C-4000 pics at 'http://www.pbase.com/marcoangels/inbox
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 3:37 AM   #8

I think some of my landscape pictures come out pretty well...but then again maybe not.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 2:09 PM   #9
jww

Default Still Thinking on it...

... thanks to everyone for your replies.

Keep them coming. Especially anything about specific and direct experience with either camera's performance in varying photo-taking ops. The camera will be used in point-and-shoot when in the hands of my wife or children, whereas I expect to employ the priority and manual modes. I don't know how many really low-light pics I'll be taking, although I probably will take quite a few shots using flash, as well as some nature shots. Noise, however, is a concern to me, as it can often come into play when taking dusk/twilight or just-before-dawn shots, which I will likely take.

I live in Canada so US pricing doesn't apply. I am anticipating purchasing and extended warranty. My experience has been that it's not a bad idea (if you are insurance prone) where electronics are involved.

...jww
jww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W R
JWW- I am also looking at the 730uz and comparing it to the 3040 and 4000. I am drifting towards the 730 because of the 10x zoom and the fact that it's new and a third generation of the 700 series. They have probably updated any problems that were in the previous models. Unfortunately, being new, the retailers are asking the top price for it! About $600.00 here in the L.A. area.
I will keep watching your post for any "hands on" information someone might post! Thanks, Bob
Try ebay for the straight 730 model, not the ones with the extras. It shouldn't cost you more than $500.
blandsman is offline   Reply With Quote