Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:32 PM   #1

Hello,

I have a C2100 that I purchased new within a month of when they came out.. I has been refurbished once about a year ago.. STILL takes better pictures that any of the Other 3 cameras I have purchased and sold Dimage 7i, Panasonic Z20 & Dimage Z3.

But My question is this.... It seems that it takes an inordinate amount of time (never timed it but several seconds) to write to the card. I am at work and cannot remember what card this is, but it is also as old as the camera... Could this problem be card related or from the camera... No problem with the pictures it accepts.. just slow... Thanks for any ideas..

Mike
imawing_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Administrator

The first thing that I would try is getting a new SmartMedia card. They are very cheap now and your card may have a lot of bad memory cells mapped out. The SmartMedia card is simply memory, it has no controller, that is internal to the camera so unless there is a problem with the camera, swapping memory cards should help.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3

Mike,

I think it's the nature of the beast. But I didn't try the dif between various cards.I bought some new ones for next to naught at the PX.There were other ones hanging there that were 2x more. Looked at the packaging and couldn't see a difference.And if you have it on Tiff, well, might want to bring a book:-)

Slow writing considered, I can't bear to part with mine either!
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 1:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply... I scrounged around and found the original olympus card which I have hardly used at all and the camera writes to it in half the time to the one I have used forever..

Thanks again.. Mike
Old Dec 14, 2004, 1:49 PM   #5

Hello imawing_rider...

Glad to know change of card helped.

Just curious...have you routinely reformatted your old card in your 2100?

That may also cause a slow-down effect on the card...just guessing here...no data to support this.

I had a 2100uz also...it wrote really, really fast to 128 smartmedia (sandisk)...nary a prob for 3 years, then I sold it. Shoulda hung onto it.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply....

I reformat the card everytime I download to the computer, but I use a Card Reader and reformat with the card in it.

mike

Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:08 PM   #7

It is understood that quality of the media card impacts write speed. For example, SD cards come in regular & high speed. The high speed (as clocked & reported on an evaluator website) for seven large 5mp files recorded sequentially was 9sec for the regular SD card & 4sec for the high speed (Panasonic FZ20). In the case of SD, when you purchase it you must request that you want the high speed variant (of course this media commands a premium price).

It is understood that when you buy the inexpensive (usually unbranded) SM cards you are getting cards that are slower either because that's the way they were manufactured or else haven't passed muster (quality control)on the write tests and therefore are sold unbranded & discounted to wholesale type distributors. So actually there are no surprises here as, in general, you get what you pay for. (I have found exceptions, but that's another topic.)

C-2100/DSC-F717
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:21 PM   #8
Administrator

imawing_rider wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply....

I reformat the card everytime I download to the computer, but I use a Card Reader and reformat with the card in it.

mike

It is always best to do any formatting in the camera with its Format command.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote