Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 28, 2002, 5:46 PM   #1

Default C5050 auto assist lamp?

Steve's pre-production review shows that the C5050 has an auto assist focus lamp.. I just received an email from Olympus, from an inquiry I made last week, and they stated that the C5050 does not have an auto assist focus lamp!! Olympus Europe shows that it does have this feature... am I getting the terminology wrong? or is there a difference between the US and Europe C5050's?

My E100RS and C2100UZ has this feature...I also called Olympus, after the email, and they said it didn't and none of their digital cameras have this feature! Could they be confusing this with Sony's hologram, nightshot, laser features?

Thanks for reading this, for I am a bit confused.

Don Blum
Adonybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2002, 7:55 PM   #2

They call it an illuminator now. The 2100
manual calls it a lamp. Must be "marketing"
word games.

AF illuminator ( Effective distance : 0.5 - 2m but varies according to the shooting situation. )
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:07 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply...

Steve also answered me and stated that all markets will have C5050's with this feature..

The mixed signals from those who are supposed to be in the know are disheartening given that they are represented as having the technical expertise about the cameras in question.

Not knowing something, no matter how small and insignificant it is to others, can become an obession to getting a straight answer.

It is through this site my questions were answered immediately, and that is deeply appreciated..

Don Blum
Old Oct 29, 2002, 5:42 AM   #4

Adonybus,
May be the guys at Olympus got perplexed by the term used by you i.e. auto assist lamp/auto assist focus lamp.
Technically it is termed as the AF illuminator or the Focus Assist Beam.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 6:13 AM   #5

Aji...

That is what I concluded as well, but in the frustration of not being able to have the precise terminology I was hoping that the techs could conclude what I meant by a little translation or inference.

A major part of my business is customer service , and more often than not I find that what the individuals desire are in conflict with what they say and it takes a bit of insight for all to get on the same page.

Thanks for YOUR insight and response.

Don PS..The baby is a cutie!