Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:39 PM   #1

Default Olympus C-4000Z

I just purchased a C-4000Z. I have several questions.

1. If I purchase a non-Olympus Smart Media card do I need to format it?

2. I want to purchase a CLA-1 lens adapter. This takes the diameter from 41mm to 43mm. I read in one review that if you use a 43mm filter it will interfere with the zoom. If so, what step up ring would you recommend and what brand of filter?

Thanks,

jms101246
jms101246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2002, 5:56 PM   #2

Don't know about formatting memory--certainly can't hurt. If you use non-Olympus brand you won't be able to use the Olympus panorama function (unless you hack the card).

The Olympus CLA-1 is designed to be used with a step-up ring--it's actually too short to use by itself (doesn't leave enough room for the lens to extend all the way--you can damage your lens that way). If you think you might someday get a wide angle, macro or telephoto converter lens to add to the camera you may as well get the size ring that will work for that lens. Olympus has a few such lenses at 52 mm, but there are also some at other sizes. If that's not a concern, just keep in mind that the larger the step-up ring and filter, the bulkier your camera will be, and the more it will block your flash. So a 46 mm ring and filter might be good for that. A good place to get step-up rings and filters is at www.2filter.com .

There's a Tiffen extender tube that's often advertized as being a CLA-1 equivalent. It's actually longer than the CLA-1, so it doesn't require a step-up ring. But it will lead to slightly increased vignetting with telephoto converters because of the extra length.

I'm not sure that 43mm filters actually cause wide-angle vignetting in the C-4000, by the way. But it's hard to find a 43-43 mm step ring anyway.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2002, 9:25 PM   #3

1. Format the smart media card. It is always better to let the camera format the card.
2. Go to www.2filters.com. They can provide you with a Tiffen version of the CLA-1. They can also sell you step up rings, filters, additional lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 2:03 AM   #4

Formatting the card simply means 'erasing all images' that may be on the card. You don't have to 'format' a new card, I recently bought a Viking 128 mb card, it worked 'right out of the box', as did all the other 'new' cards I've used, regardless of brand. The only thing you lose by using non-Oly cards, is the 'stitch assist' for panoramic prints.
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 12:27 PM   #5

Formatting the card does not mean you are erasing all of the images. Formatting preps the card so that images can be stored on the card.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 4:23 AM   #6

Well I hate to get into an argument, but I've bought several different storage media cards and never had to 'format' them to get them to work, compact flash or smartmedia. If you put your smartmedia card that contains a few images into your camera and 'format' it, you will lose all the images that were on that card! I have never had to 'format' a new card to get it to work in my camera, from my experiences(forgive me, I was born in 1952), all the storage cards I've bought, regardless of brand name, have worked in my cameras without any 'formatting'...God bless, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 9:22 AM   #7

Unless the card was used in another device, you do not need to format it. But its still a good idea, I had my new card freeze up on me one day. Any the camera wouldn't let me format it, I had to wait until I got home. This was maybe a week after I first got my Camera, and the new 64mb card. I did not format it when I first got it. It's worked great since then though.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote