Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:41 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I have recently discovered a number of light pixels in dark areas of all the shots I take with my c 3040 zoom.

Cleaning the lens and changing the SM card has not improved the situation.

Any ideas what could cause the problem? Anybody out there who experienced similar problems?

chears

Seb
seba73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:12 PM   #2

yah...probably hotpixel problem. Is your camera under warranty? If it is, then get it sent in for replacement. This is one of those disadvantages of digital cameras. They can develop these sorts of electronic problems at maybe anytime. If your camera is still under warranty, then I'd get a replacement. Otherwise the only thing they can do is to use software that sort of removes the effects of the bad pixels. But if you see a bunch of these pixels developing, it could mean more in the future.

I believe that the camera companies should be obligated to give free pixel remapping software to the customers. Because a sudden pixel problem developing later (usually inevitable) is unacceptable really. And camera companies often charge some ridiculous fee to do this pixel remapping thing on the camera...and we could easily do it ourselves if we had the software. The only thing is ... you can mess up the camera if you don't do it properly...or if something doesn't quite go as planned during the operation. So it's hard on both sides.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:27 PM   #3
Administrator

Seb:

If you have pixels that are always bright (even at faster shutter speeds), then these are known as stuck pixels.

Here is a utility you can use to test for them:

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm

Note that hot pixels are normal on long exposures, but when they stay set to a bright value for all shutter speeds, they are referred to a being stuck.

There are software packages designed to let you compensate for them. Some can work with a bad pixel map file. Here is an example:

http://www.tawbaware.com/pixelzap.htm

There is also autility that works with some Nikon and Olympus model designed to update a bad pixel file inside of the camera (so that they are automatically mapped out).I found one user that said it worked fine on the 3030z (so it will most likely work on the 3040z, too).

http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

Note that if the pixels you're seeing are not always in the same spot, then you're probably just seeing noise (which is normal at higher ISO speeds or longer exposures). Noise is more like fine grain (only different colored specs). If it's only noise (versus stuck pixels), then atool like Noiseware from http://www.imagenomic.com can reduce it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Hi Kenny,

unfortunately the camera is out of warranty already. I went to check with to shops downtown and they told me that ending the camera in to Olympus would most certainly cost me around 200 Euro ... and I should think about getting a new one instead.
Come on... the 3040z sold for around 900 Euro 3 years ago.

I don't feel like I want to retire the camera. I still like a lot.

I sent an email off to customer service at Olympus Germany. Let's see what they say...

Does anybody have experience with Olympus handling a pixel-remapping?

cheers

Seb
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:23 PM   #5

Jim,

I think we are talking about stuck pixels here.

I first spotted the hot pixels in a series of shots I took in September '04. Of course they stick out more clearly on pictures taken under low light conditions with darker areas, etc.

But since my first discovery I tried a few things out and even in pictures taken under normal light conditions the hot pixels are visible. I also believe that 2 or 3 appear in the same spot.

Thanks for the links. I will start to have a closer look tonight.

cheers

Seb

Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Administrator

seba73 wrote:
Quote:
I sent an email off to customer service at Olympus Germany. Let's see what they say...

Does anybody have experience with Olympus handling a pixel-remapping?
Seb:

The last quote I saw anyone mention for "CCD Repair/Replacement" from Olympus U.S. was $193.00 for a C-2100UZ (a user with stuck pixels posted the quote he got).

Personally, I'd risk trying the Russian Utility (making sure to observe the cautions he mentions about not doing a read and remap ifthe firmware version and serial number are not visible).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:18 PM   #7

yah...I agree. Try out the remapping software from that site. I tried it with my nikon 950, but unfortunately it doesn't work for my 950 since it's too old. But maybe it'll work for your newer model camera...olympus. I emailed that guy at that site a couple of times to ask if it's possible to incorporate the nikon 950, but I never got any email responses at all. Actually, my situation is a hot pixel problem. It's a hassle, but at least it's like just 1 spot, and I don't mind to use a clone tool in a photo editor to remove the spot. I think that the camera companies should just hand out the remapper software for free, and just add a statement to deny liability etc. Stuck pixels and hot pixels etc are probably eventualities with digicameras. And I don't want to fork out a couple of hundred of dollars just to get them to use their remapping software to fix the problem (the 200 dollar mark is probably what nikon charges for their remap service as well).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote