Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:24 AM   #1

Hello everyone.

I'e just bought an Oly C7000 after considering a number of cameras including Pentax 750z, Sony DSC V3 and Fuji E550. This is an upgrade from a far too old Sony DSC S50 (2MP). I've had little time to play with it until now, but I did take a few landscape photos side-by-side with my Sony.

Results: very pleased with resolution, very pleased with colours once I cranked saturation up two notches. However, compared to the Sony, I'm getting far less detail in the sky - the white sky problem. Does anyone have suggestions for the settings I need to change to get better results? E.g., would reducing contrast by one or two steps help? (I tried reducing exposure by 0.3 and 0.7, but the rest of the photo becomes a bit too dark).

Oh, another question: if I select and save colour saturation at +2, does that take effect even in a scene mode such as landscape, or does the camera revert to preset settings in such modes?
Thanks for any advice.
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:06 PM   #2

What works great for my C50 is to hold polarized sunglasses in front of the lens. You can just tilt your head with the glasses on to see what angle gives the best sky contrast and hold them in front of the lens at that angle. It is seldom more than a few degrees from horizontal though.

Campmor had a great deal on Nikon polarized glasses but they sold out of them. They are an optically neutral gray and work well. Overstock. com and Ebay have some of the Nikons but they aren't as cheap as Campmor had them. I never had problems with lower quality polarized glasses before I got the Nikons though. The flatter the better – wraparounds aren't as optically distorted as you would think, but they are more difficult to hold over the lens at the right angle. Wal-Mart usually has a pretty good selection of polarized sunglasses, but I haven't seen any there that are flat. They do have some neutral gray. On another thread on the subject someone posted a shot taken with some extreme wraparound glasses and you couldn't see any distortions, so I guess it is possible.

I happen to have this shot online. It was taken with brown/amber tint Polaroid glasses I picked up at a local boat store for $5. It does affect the white balance some, which the neutral Nikons don't. The softness is the background is the result of reducing the DOF with a close focus on the car. I find the shots with the glasses to be sharp. You can get an idea of the sky/cloud contrast increase from the reflection of the sky on the car. What I was showing in the picture was the decrease in reflection on the rear window, but the trim is especially improved. Obviously the lower shot is with the glasses. My daughter has my C50 right now. When I get it back I'll do some sky shots with the Nikons if you are interested. The shot isn't appropriate for direct posting.
http://www.pbase.com/slipe/image/15070822/original.jpg

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:14 PM   #3

I realized I had some shots on the computer with and without the Nikon sunglasses. I reduced the size and put them up on pbase. The first is straight and the second with the glasses. Polarization varies across the sky and with time of day, so the results aren't always the same.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:44 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've done some experimenting and reduced the problem significantly by taking contrast down and setting white balance manually. But a polarised filter - if there are any available for the C70(00) would be best. I'll do my research.

Have a good new year.
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote