Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:54 PM   #1

On new years Eve I try to catch some firework. From the 100 shots I take I have 10 pictures in which I had the just in time shutter release and a picture of the firework I wanted. All the othe 90's picture were black: i.e. the shutter realese was to lote.

Has anybody experience with the right settings for firework pictures so I can put them in " my mode"
image4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:25 PM   #2

Did you leave the shutter speed on B or bulb? If you did you shouldn't have any blank shots. If you didn't you were probably lucky with the shots that did come out. At least you weren't using a film camera!
benvendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3

You might want to post the settings and techniques you were using to help us determine if there is any room for improvement. The ones I took around July 4th were with 2-5 second exposures with narrow apertures. You need to trigger the shutter before the explosion, since it will be to late if you wait till it's visible. If you can see or hear the shell being launched, triggering a 1/2 second after will generally work. Also, don't forget to switch to manual focus and set it at infinity. That will prevent shutter lag and OOF shoots.

KuoH

image4u wrote:
Quote:
On new years Eve I try to catch some firework. From the 100 shots I take I have 10 pictures in which I had the just in time shutter release and a picture of the firework I wanted. All the othe 90's picture were black: i.e. the shutter realese was to lote.

Has anybody experience with the right settings for firework pictures so I can put them in " my mode"
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4

I did use these settings:

My Mode: M-positon for 1/60 at f 5,6 , NR setting, Manual focus, SQ1. I took the pictures of hand instead of a tripod. Perhaps I did it the wrong way and could better use a tripod and the bulb setting, and also the multiple image setting. (so therefore I had to put off the NR setting)

I also have the impression that the camera first have to evaluate the light-conditions for giving an image to the EVF of LCD screen, before you can release the shutter.
image4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:57 PM   #5

Well the biggest problem I see is the 1/60 shutter speed, there's barely enough time for the burst to travel. I don't have an 8080, so I don't know about the bulb setting, but the manual mode should allow you to set much longer exposures. I would start with 2 to 3 second exposures at F8, then back off the aperture until the fireworks is of the exposure you're seeking. Also try using manual WB, preferrably a natural light setting, since auto WB is too slow to get the color correct all the time. I usually use cloudy but sunny might work as well.

The camera only needs to evaluate lighting if you useone of theauto modes. If you're using M mode, manual focus and WB, then there's nothing for the camera to do but to snap the shot.

Here's one of many I got last July 4th with my C750.

EXIF

Description:OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Make:OLYMPUS CORPORATION
Model:C750UZ
Software:v753u2-86
Date Modified:7/4/2004 9:58:02 PM
Exposure Time:2.50
F Number:4.50
Exposure Program:Manual
ISO Speed:50
Date Original:7/4/2004 9:58:02 PM
Date Digitized:7/4/2004 9:58:02 PM
Compressed Bits Per Pixel:5.00
Exposure Bias:0.00
Max Aperture:f/2.83
Meter Mode:Vendor Unique (5)
Light Source:Flash
Flash Fired:No
Flash Mode:Off
Focal Length (mm):6.30
Color Space:sRGB

KuoH

image4u wrote:

Quote:
I did use these settings:

My Mode: M-positon for 1/60 at f 5,6 , NR setting, Manual focus, SQ1. I took the pictures of hand instead of a tripod. Perhaps I did it the wrong way and could better use a tripod and the bulb setting, and also the multiple image setting. (so therefore I had to put off the NR setting)

I also have the impression that the camera first have to evaluate the light-conditions for giving an image to the EVF of LCD screen, before you can release the shutter.
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote