Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:02 AM   #11

I have just started experiencing the same problem with my C750. When I first saw the "Caution erasing all" warning while I was previewing in the camera I immediately hit the power button to turn off the camera. I did not lose any images and the card is still usable. The problem occurs roughly every 10-15 images on every card I have tried 128/256/512. Sometimes twice in a row - sometimes I'll go for 20 shots with no faults. I have a card reader which successfully reads all corrupt files where the Camedia SW freezes. Photoshop while open most corrupt files where I might have one third of a complete image with the rest blank or a double image or somtimes a "fogged" partial image at the bottom of the shot.

In my experimentation to diagnose the problem I seem to have "poisoned" my daughters C740. After trying her 128 card in the C750 and replicating the problem I put the card back in her C740. Low and behold her camera started the same "Caution erasing all" meassage on every 10-15 images. Conclusion? One would deduce it is a card problem not a camera problem? Or is it possible to transmit a SW bug through a shared card? Either way I am not very impressed with Olympus. I still use and love my 25 year old OM1 but my first digital experience is less than satisfying a few months out of warranty! And Olympus service wants to charge me $300 to replace all the electronics? Hmmm, I don't think they really know what's going on.

I am not paying so if anyone learns more about this I would appreciate some follow up posts.

Thank you....

tony e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:22 AM   #12

The XD cards seem a bit buggy. Last night I used Explorer to manually copy a group of images from the card to hard disk and then deleted the selected images after the copy was finished. When the screen refreshed ALL the images in the card were "gone", yet only the ones I had selected were copied!! Thanks to this forum for recovery tools. The free one from Zero Assumtion wasonly partially successfull but it is definately worth a try. The $39.95 PHOTORECOVERY program from LC-Tech retrieved the last 2 pics which of course were the ones I really needed. Ouch.
Craig Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:28 AM   #13

I doubt there's anything particularly buggy about XD cards, but I think you should always avoid manipulating the card (erasing photos, formatting, etc.) from the computer. Copy the photos from the camera, yes, but then disconnect the camera from the computer and use the computer's own controls to erase the photos or reformat the card. I've heard a lot of horror stories from people (using card formats other than XD) regarding what can happen when you manipulate the contents of the card from the computer.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:20 AM   #14

i have the same problem as rupert: i bought a 512Mb XD card and used it to take photos of my recent holiday (over 400 photos) but using a Olympus Mju 410 digital. I can view my photos on the camera but simply cannot download them onto the lap top. :sad:when i tried downloading my photos, Idid get'removable drive E:' on the lap top. After a few seconds however, iwas asked to 'insert disk into drive E:'. Anyone had this problem before and know what to do? should i get the card reader? (I am based in shanghai, China now so getting the card reader might be a problem)

duringmy holiday i gota screen on the camera asking me to 'power off' whenever i turned it on. I assumed it was too cold and after i warmed the camera by putting it inside my windbreaker, it worked fine. my 128Mb xd card worked fine when i tested it by downloading other photos to the lap top.

thanks in advance

pchia
pchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:28 AM   #15

:?I have the same problem,but I've found what happened to my c750z.Try to access your photo datas with your USB connection wire(which with your origin olympus camera),because my card reader have Oti USB chip not competible with olympus XD cards,so I think the same with your card reader's chip.After I use the olympus usb connect wire ,problem solved.My c750 work normal.

step 1 ut xd card in your camera

step 2 :take a few photos

step 3 :format XD card (in camera)

step 4 :take a few photos

step 5 :erase all images(in camera)

step 6 :setp 2 to step 5 two or three times

Done!!!

##### never use your card reader again!!!!!!

or maybe you can buy a card reader certified by Olympus!!!

try this one http://www.fuji.com.tw/dscacc.asp?AID=1072

But I haven't buy it and try it yet!!!!
boyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:59 AM   #16

Interesting suggestion. I've never had any problem with my card reader, but perhaps that because it's made by Olympus.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:24 PM   #17

I've used 16, 32, 64, 256, and 512 MB xd cards in a couple of Dazzle readers as well as an Olympus reader and have never had any problems reading or writing to them. The one thing I avoid as much as possible is using my camera to access the card. Since most of us don't use AC adapters, the chances of a battery problem during memory transferare just too great. The stories I've read of people losing pictures seem to often be related to power issues during transferswith the camera. Card readers users don't usually run into this problem, though some mistakenly format their cards or otherwise overwrite the data due to inexperience with Explorer.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:08 AM   #18

Hey guys i had the same problem. I was backpacking europe and ansomeone dropped my sony tsc-1 to the floor destroying it completely. So i went to a Satur (big electronic store) and bought a cheap Olympus Digital Cam and a 256 MB XD Card.

After taking aproximately 200 pictures suddenly the camera gave me an error message and after that everytime i turned my camera on i had to options, format the card or shut down the camera.

Does this mean that i had lost all of my pictures from Munich to Amsterdam? i wish no.

I really hate Olympus for making me suffer this much and for destroying the memories of such a wonderfuland EXPENSIVE trip.

I had tried using some of these recovering programs but they didnt work :S
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:40 PM   #19

I'm joining the club- unfortunately, I have the same error...

I have an Olympus C-50 and xD 256 MB card. A fewmonths ago I had a "card error" while I was trying to download images via USB cable. I took the card out, downloaded the images using a card reader. Formatted the card and continued to use it. A week or so later gave me a "card error" again and I couldn't recover the images.

I figured the card was bad so I ordered another one -256 MB xD...After amonth or so, today I received the same "card error". I recovered the photos but I cannot format the card.

Anyone has any idea what's going on? Should I trash this camera and never buy an Olympus and/or xD machine again? Or is there a fix?

Thanks,
SC
Sertac Takunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:40 PM   #20

HI SC.

If you formatted the card via the card reader then unfortunately this sometimes corrupts the card. (As you can see from this thread is it recommended not to do this).

I would not trash the camera it is working fine.

I know for a fact that Olympus America will replace the card if you send in the card receiving the error. You will have to contact your local Olympus support to verify that they follow the same practice.

Unless card readers and cameras read and write at the same speeds there will always be an issue with card corruption.

Good luck

MP

Good luck!

MP
MargaretP is offline   Reply With Quote