Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:55 AM   #21

please help me!

i am totally useless with camers but have never had a problem before until now. My mini digital camera has many photos on it that i cant access, everytime i turn the camera on it reads 'card setup' then format or power off. When i atach it to my computer it reads the disk needs to be formatted but says it will erase everything! im too scared to attempt to format it in any way.

im at a point where i dont care about the card or camera i just want the photos back!

can anyone help me as to how i get my photos as there only on my camera and not on my computer?

thanks for any help you can send!!
hwalker609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:29 PM   #22

First of all,you can try and go to a photo center to get your photos,they can sometimes recover them.
I always use fresh batteries when I D/L photos to the computer. I open the directory the pictures are on (through USB and camera {C-750}) then click on one picture,then CTRL-A to select all images,then CTRL-X to cut all,then I go to the drectory I want to put the pictures in and press CTRL-V to paste them there.I have been doing it for quite a few years now,first with my C-700 and now with the C-750, touch wood,have'nt lost a photo yet.
Foxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:14 PM   #23

I have an Olympus C-755UZ camera and an Olympus 512MB xD card (type M).

Today I took several pictures, and then turned off the camera. Turned it back on, and it beeped angrily and gave only two options - power off or format card.

So I had to format the card and lost some irreplaceable pictures.

Anyone know what caused this? I've read this thread - still not sure what causes it. Can I still trust this xD card, or is it broken? It seems to work now, but does this mean it is dying? (its only 4 months old).

Is it a good idea to format the card every time you download all your pictures onto your computer? Or will frequent formatting wear it out?
st187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 7:33 PM   #24
Administrator

Even a low battery can cause a problem. It may have been corrupted before you even started taking photos the last time.

Personally, I always format a memory card before every use with a camera's menus. No exceptions. That insures I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way a camera expects it (since the camera is performing the format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:46 AM   #25

i have a question myself about the xd card recovery. most of the information i read about is situtations where its corrupted, or formatting but i have a problem i still cant figure out. i was wondering if there was in any way possible to recover pictures that were MANUALLY deleted? i bought card reader and i couldnt read the options and i hit a button that probably asked if i wanted to delete the picutres and after that i checked the card on my camera and everything was gone. ive tried some recovery programs but so far none was able to recover what i deleted. i dont think there is but if there is then please hlep me out,i have some really important pictures that i would love to get back. thanks.
improvized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:29 AM   #26

I posted the same scenerion awhile ago. I owned 2 128 copact cards ,and they are as old as the camera, they no longer work.

I believe mine reach a date, anddecides to say " hey I am forcing you to buy a newer card"

Now I am on my last 2 8 megs. and 1 64 meg card.

the camera wil be retired. and I wil go with an optical viewe finder and upt to 10x optical camera. if Olympus or not

the fix i do not know of, and I shal try t ocontact Olympus, abouthis as tht is my last resort. thanx MP I never thought of that, but 5 years or older they'll not cover lol
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:44 AM   #27
Administrator

improvized wrote:
Quote:
i have a question myself about the xd card recovery. most of the information i read about is situtations where its corrupted, or formatting but i have a problem i still cant figure out. i was wondering if there was in any way possible to recover pictures that were MANUALLY deleted? i bought card reader and i couldnt read the options and i hit a button that probably asked if i wanted to delete the picutres and after that i checked the card on my camera and everything was gone. ive tried some recovery programs but so far none was able to recover what i deleted. i dont think there is but if there is then please hlep me out,i have some really important pictures that i would love to get back. thanks.
The most important thing is not to try and write to the card (some disk utilities will attempt to "fix" a card and can damage anything that is still recoverable).

Check out the Digital Imaging Recovery program I mentioned in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

If it does not work, a cross platform open source image recovery utility has recently come to my attention. It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct the images.

I have no experience with it. But, it may be worth a try. Here is the link:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #28

I just had my xD card go snaky on me. The camera keeps saying that it needs to be reformatted. When I try to do that, it complains that the xD is defective.

Anyway, I purchased a software package called mmCard Recovery and it was able to get 225 out of 232 images out ok. The other 9 seem to be complete but there is some corruption in the files that do not allow them to fully open.

The program is $27 US.
jshoude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:08 PM   #29

With the Olympus xD cards, you must never format them except on the camera. It will become useless (except on a PC).

When I removed the images from mine, I tried to format it in the camera but it was no use so I assumed it was not going to be going back into the camera again so I formatted it in the PC. I reran the image extraction program and was able to get another 6 images out.

The extraction programs that I have seen seem to go right after the memory as opposed to using the directory structure.
jshoude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:46 PM   #30

I am new to this forum but need help! I have an OlympusC-759 ultra zoom and am having problems with my XD cards. I formatted them on my PC and apparently they are FAT 32. Now when I try to take pictures the message comes up on my camera to either format or power off. I try to format and it shows halfway progress and comes up "CARD ERROR" . Is there anything I can do to be able to use these cards? I am not worried about retrieving any photos as I had already copied them Thanks for any help! I am not very good with computers so explaining it in simple terms will be much appreciated! Thank you
kitcatmom is offline   Reply With Quote