Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:00 AM   #1

aggghhh! hello,

can anyone please help me?!?

I've just come back from a trip where I took about 200 photos on an Olympus C750 using a 512m olympus xd memory card.

When viewing the photos last night on the camera I encounted a couple of corrupt photos (the photos had disappeared and were replaced by an image of grey and black pixels instead).

Then the worst part... without seemingly doing anything at all, a message came up on the camera saying deleting all files. The message was similar to one when you chose to delete files manually. Although this "automatic" message had options yes and noto delete, it wouldnt even let me select no, it just started automatically deleting! As the camera started deletingI started hitting buttons including power-off but all to no avail as the camera kept churning away deleting. So as a quick but last resort (and something I know not to normally do) I opened the card reader and removed the card.

Thus now, not only will my camera notread the card without me first selecting the option to format card (which I have refused to do at this stage in case there is some/any hope???), but I amdreading the fact that I have lostall my holiday photos.

Please if anyonehas any ideas or knowledge that may mean I can retrieve some if any of the photos I would be extremely greatful.

I have downloaded software "PC Inspector Smart Recovery" mentioned in another thread however no matter what settings I change I cannot get the "start" button in this program to become active and actually start!

Should I "format" and hope/prey that somehow I can retrieve photos after. Should I try something else first? Comments and ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanking you lots

Rupert (Desperately seekingphotos).

PS. does this error sound like a specific memory card error - or could it be camera related. It is a new card, purchased a few weeks ago and if the card is faulty I'd like to know so I can take it back to the store and hope they will replace it. I've never encounted this problem using the 256 and 16m cards with the camera during the past year.

rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator

That's a strange one. It sounds like a button got stuckon the camera.

If it were mine, I'd get a card reader that supports xD-Picturecard (these are usually under $30.00 almost anywhere that sells them now -- Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc.).

Then, if the operating system prompted me that it needed formatting, I'd go ahead and format it (making SURE to select FAT as the File System Type). Windows won't overwrite the data on the card when you format (but some cameras might). Formatting only overwrites the FAT (File Allocation Table). But, you need to make sure to select FAT as the File System Type (so that it matches the way the card was originally, since newer Windows versions use a 32bit FAT by default when formatting).

Then, I'd use one of the popular tools to recover the images.There is a link to a free one in this thread that I've found works well (Digital Image Recovery). You'll also see a link to a popular commercial program (PhotoRescue). This one (PhotoRescue) may be able to read the card without a format using a card reader:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

BTW, I'd be careful about using any recovery tool that may try to write to the card in any way (since this could damage the files so that they are no longer recoverable).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:46 AM   #3

thanks for the reply JimC.

sounds like I'll have to format the card. It prompts me to format it on the camera when i turn it on but I've been reluctant to do that incase the camera overwrites the photos.

how exactly do I format the card direct from a PC? i do have a card reader. When I connect it to the computer it recognises the card reader but doesnt recognise the card. From here, how do I go about formatting? The free programs i downloaded to retrieve images didnt give me the option to format it.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
sorry for my lack of knowledge on this matter.

thanks heeps

rupe.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Administrator

rupert wrote:
Quote:
sounds like I'll have to format the card. It prompts me to format it on the camera when i turn it on but I've been reluctant to do that incase the camera overwrites the photos.
Some cameras do, most don't. I've got a little Konica KD-510z that doesn't overwrite the data on the card when formatting a Secure Digital Card. But, it does overwrite everything so that it's not recoverable when I format a Memory Stick in it (it takes two different types of media).

You could always test how it works with a different card. For example, take some photos with a different xD-Picturecard. Then, format the card with the camera and see if the photos are still recoverable using something like Digital Image Recovery. Chances are, it's not overwriting the data on the card, but I'd make sure to test this theory.

Quote:
how exactly do I format the card direct from a PC? i do have a card reader. When I connect it to the computer it recognises the card reader but doesnt recognise the card. From here, how do I go about formatting? The free programs i downloaded to retrieve images didnt give me the option to format it.
Are you sure the operating system is not aware of the card? What happens when you go into "My Computer" (or Windows Explorer)? Do you see a drive letter associated with the card reader? If so, if you "right click" on the drive and select Properties, does it show the size of the media there?

Simply Right Click on the removable drive and see if a Format menu choice is there. Select this menu choice, make sure that the File System Type is FAT (you'll see a drop down list for file system types), leave everything else as default, and click Start.

You could alsotry Photorescue (not free). It supposedly has the ability to read cards that are not recognized by the operating system now in a new mode (but I don't have any personal experience with it).

Here is a quote from their site:

Quote:
If your card is damaged, corrupted, or has been formatted, PhotoRescue is the best data-recovery solution you can get: it consistently beats other solutions in independent tests. PhotoRescue even deals with cases where the media is NOT visible as a drive letter anymore. We get at the pictures other recovery software does not even see. Our unique unfragmenting technology rebuilds cherished memories that would otherwise have been lost forever. Try PhotoRescue today

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/download.htm

You could always download the demo version to see if it would work before you purchase it.

Personally, I'd see if I could format the card (using Windows if possible, or the camera if I could verify that it's not overwriting the data when formatting by testing another card).Then I'd use Digital Image Recovery. Chances are, it'sonly a corrupted FAT since you removed the card when the camera was still writing to it.

But, there are no guarantees trying something like this. The card could also be defective in a way that makes the photosunrecoverable (in which case the card would probably beunformattable, too).

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:24 AM   #5

I would DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY test the formating on another xd card first to see if formating erases the photos.

I wouldn't even think of formating the card with the important photos before being 100% positive thatformating doesn't remove the photos.

When formating an xd card within the c-750, a warning comes up that says "CAUTION - ERASING ALL". I'm no computer whiz by any stretch - but that message would tell me not to format through the camera if I want the chance to see my photos in the future.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:35 PM   #6

yeh thanks for that eos. I did try formatting the smaller 16m card first and the result was as you suspected. Complete deletion, no other software could redetect the files.

i ended up going for that data rescue program you mentioned jim and although i had to pay, managed to get back many, but not all of the photos eventually.

Although I have now tried to reformat the large card for any potential (emergency only) use, however even though the camera displays the format option when i have the card in and turn it on, it comes up with an error if I try to format it. It wont work. I cant do anything with the card except turn the camera on and off.

For some strange reason no software I have used via the computer except the "pay" software even recognised the memory card (even the windows operating system doesnt recognise the card) so I dont know if / how I can format it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:52 PM   #7
Administrator

Did you try a card reader, as I suggested in my first post?

Quote:
If it were mine, I'd get a card reader that supports xD-Picturecard (these are usually under $30.00 almost anywhere that sells them now -- Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc.).
[/quote]

If so, and you can't format the card with Windows(making sure to select FAT as the File System Type)and a Card Reader, then it's likely damaged so that it won't be usable. You could also try different camera models to see if another one (perhaps a Fuji) may be able to format it. Many stores have demo cameras.

If it's under warranty, your best bet is to probably return it for a replacement.

Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:28 PM   #8

yeh, i've tried direct from a card reader and the camera but it wont seem to do anything. I can see the card reader drive, but when i view the properties it comes up with 0 bytes and says to inset card (even though its in there). I select format but then it just does nothing, it gives me no further options.

Yeh sounds like I'll have to try and return it. Might be worth trying in a fuji camera however I doubt that will work if nothing else has.

Just seems strange how that 1 program was able to see the data yet everything else wont even recognise the card let alone read it.

thanks for all your help - at least I got some pics back!!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:47 PM   #9
Administrator

rupert wrote:
Quote:
Just seems strange how that 1 program was able to see the data yet everything else wont even recognise the card let alone read it.
Most of the recovery programs will require that the card be recognized by the operating system to work. PhotoRescue is an exception.

Do youhave a drive letter associated with the reader?

If so, you may want to try formatting it from a command prompt. If you're not sure how to get to the command prompt, you can use the run command in your start menu, and run the program cmd.exe

At the command prompt, type this line, substituting thedrive letter associated with the card readerfor Z: (when prompted for a volume label, just leave it blank and press enter again):

FORMAT Z: /FS:FAT

Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:38 PM   #10

Well, Rupert, you're not alone! I'm not sure if you will read this but if you do please follow up on your Olympus xd card issue. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. Somehow it said it was deleting files and I opened the camera to stop the whole process. Now my computer doesn't recognize the card, nor does my printer. (Both have specific drives for the xd). I did the "format now?" on my camera, sad knowing I was erasing my three year old's birthday pictures. Nothing works. My pictures seem to be nowhere. The card appears to be totally unreadable. Is this fixable? I haven't tried downloading any program yet. Does anything work? Or do I really have to go out and buy a new one? I bought this quite a few months ago and don't have the packaging. Who knows where the receipt is. There must be other people who have card errors like this. . .help!!!
nancypick is offline   Reply With Quote