Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:46 PM   #91

Kanji,

Like the one of the boats particularly.

What setting are you using for sharpness? Seems to me some of these are over-sharpened - Sentinel Tree Hill, for example. Over-sharpening exaggerates noise in the pic and doesn't flatter the subject in a portrait.

I took the liberty of playing with Mirror mirror a bit, reducing the sharpness. What do you think?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fenlander/mirror.jpg

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:58 PM   #92

Hi,fenlander
Well. I am using a -3 for contrast and the camera's default for the sharpness setting. I do think that the "mirror" pic was improved when you lessened the sharpness of the picture,I see what you mean. I manipulated the "sentinel hill" using Photoshop Elements 2 and I guess that I overdid that one also.
Glad that you thought that the boat photo was o.k....I don't think that I touched that one,just reduced it and uploaded to the web.
Thanks for checking out the pics.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 2:01 AM   #93

Kanji, I also thought the San Fran shot was the best. The reflections and the lines were good. Regarding over sharpening - better a bit soft then sharpening into the noise. Also, there are some unbelievable freeware noise reduction applications available on the web. Some of these apps are better then the commercial stuff that costs like $200.

James, yes the light in New Mexico is ethereal. It's called the land of enchantment - Georgia O'Keefe lived and painted here. As to the Scotts being depressed b/c of the weather. Well I've never been there but "Train Spotting" seemed kind of bleak heh. I got to know two guys from Liverpool a while back and though they were funny as hell, they also were the most hopeless sots. All they cared about was getting pissed until they passed out heh. I've known quite a few people from the UK who were working class or on the dole and they all seemed rather fatalistic. I don't know what it is. Maybe it has something to do with the class structure, or it could be the weather heh, dunno...shrug.
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 5:02 AM   #94

Brian,
Now you risk the other 'side' of Scots we may self criticise but no-one else is allowed.We do live in an awful dark environment which can be be a bit depressing but not as much as trying to produce decent images with no photographic history.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 6:02 AM   #95

Hehe, I should have known better. A mad Scott is a terrible sight to behold. I'm a fan of you Uk'ers. You all have the most brilliant humor, much better then ours.
Old Dec 15, 2002, 9:10 PM   #96

Here are my C-4000 pictures. They are all pretty much in standard auto format. I have only begun to take pictures with the settings different.

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/nature/page_01.htm

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/pics/page_01.htm
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:55 AM   #97

Default C-4000 landscapes

Okay Fenlander and anyone else that can add an expert's view (or even a peon's) to why my C-4000 landscapes lack that sharp definition, while I have no problem with my 'portrait' mode...all pics were taken in 'landscape' mode at shq...
http://www.pbase.com/marcoangels/landscapes[/url]
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 6:54 AM   #98

Marcoangels,

Three things:

1) can you post a few full-size shots (pics with a horizon at infinity)? It's impossible to tell how much loss of definition might have been caused by downsizing. With EXIF would be even better. "Marco bridge" and "Bad camera" would do.

2) do you generally use spot or iESP autofocus? Or do you just let Landscape mode do its thing?

3) what sharpening setting do you use in the camera and what sharpening do you do post-production?

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:21 PM   #99

Well marco, personally on my camera I don't use any of the pre-set modes. If it's really bright outside and it seems there are not many colors, I up the aperture and that helps it not look overexposed. Otherwise I use the P setting, but I make a few changes. I dropped the contrast to -1 and upped the Sharpness to +4. I am using this setting now with SPOT AF. Unfortunately this is not the greatest time of the year to take colorful pictures as a lot of things are just nice and dull outside.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:39 PM   #100

Regarding sharpening, I've been trying to figure out the best sharpening settings. I'm unsure if -5 correlates to no incamera sharpening? The advantage of -5 is supposedly that you have the most control over sharpening post processing. I experimented with an image this weekend taking a pict at f11, -5. It was soft and really it was too much work to try to get the picture sharp. The biggest difference between default and -5 that I saw, is that at default, sharpening will cause unacceptable noise much quicker - but that makes sense because the camera has already sharpened the image. I'm not finding a huge benefit to -5 compared to the work involved in getting it sharp. -2 sharpening seems to be a good setting. The picture is basically sharp but you have a decent degree of latitude to sharpen it up. I think I've decided that it's not a bad thing to let the camera do some sharpening and cut down on the post processing work.